Deliberately-set fire damages Springhill community centre
Published Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:39PM AST
A fire has closed a Springhill community centre named after Anne Murray’s parents.
There is no word on how much it might cost to fix what has been described as “significant” damage from a fire deliberately set in a garbage can.
“The sprinklers went off right where the fire was, which was great,” says Jonathan Darnborough, the facilities leisure service manager.
The garbage can was set ablaze in the second-story men’s room of the Doctor Carson and Marion Murray Community Centre. A nearby paper towel dispenser was also ignited.
The fire was contained but smoke and water damage seeped through the floor, down to the main lobby.
It was set just as a minor hockey practice was about to begin. Fortunately, everyone was able to get out of the building safely.
Police believe they know who set the fire.
“A young person has been apprehended for it, a young offender, and was arrested in regards to the matter, and is facing charges and charges are pending for arson as well as mischief over $5,000,” says acting Police Chief Ken Matthews.
An estimate of the structural damage to the building has yet to be made but the emotional damage to the community is already being felt.
“Devastating; this community centre is used by pretty much everyone, and for someone to do something like this, it’s very devastating,” says centre worker Heather Laurie.
Investigators and insurance appraisers spent Thursday examining the building. The centre is closed until further notice, which has resulted in the cancellation of several events.
“Hard to believe, I mean, first Friday in three or four years that we won’t be playing a hockey game at home,” said hockey player Tyler Gould.
Police say the accused will be appearing in court at a later date.
With files from CTV Atlantic's Dan MacIntosh
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.