No - this isn't a mistake! It's gravlax in the making!
Published Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:06PM ADT
Last Updated Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:48PM ADT
- 2 tsp white peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tbsp kosher salt (or coarse sea salt)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 – 1 lb. salmon fillet, skin on*
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
1. Mix spices, salt & pepper together.
2. Using a small, sharp paring knife, poke holes in the skin of the salmon
3. Rub 1/3 of the salt mixture evenly over the skin. Sprinkle 1/3 of the dill in the bottom of a glass or stainless steel container.
4. Lay the salmon, skin side down, on top of the dill.
5. Rub the remaining salt mixture on top of the salmon. Cover with remaining 2/3 of the dill.
6. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure there is no exposure to air.
7. Cover the salmon with a flat object such as a plate, and place a weight, such as heavy cans or a brick on top.
8. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 days and up to 5 days, unwrap, scrape off dill and salt mixture.
9. Slice thin and serve as you wish.
*Skin can be removed; use less of the curing mixture on the bottom.