CTV News at 5 is helping you prepare for mealtime with some delicious dishes!
Every week we will share a recipe designed by the Sobeys team that you can try in your own kitchen. The recipes are easy to make with step-by-step instructions.
Check here every week for the latest recipe and visit Sobeys.com for the latest flyers to help you gather all the ingredients you will need.
Stuffed Meatballs with Pesto Gnocchi
1lbs Lean ground Beef and Pork combined
2 table spoons Italian seasoning
2 table spoons garlic paste
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 package cheese curds
2 Shallot, sliced
2-3 table spoons red or green Compliments Pesto
2 Cup, Compliments Mini Bella Mushrooms, sliced
2.5 Cup, Compliments Beef Broth
1 Cup, Whipping Cream
2 Tbsp, Chives, thinly sliced
Salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste
2 Package Olivieri Skillet Gnocchi – Plain or Cheese stuffed
- In a skillet set over medium heat, sauté the shallot in a touch of oil until softened and beginning to color, about 4 minutes. Add in the pesto, mushrooms and 1 table spoon butter. Cook until the mushrooms are golden brown, and all liquid has evaporated.
- Add in the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Stir in the cream and return to a simmer. Add the Gnocchi now and cook for 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
- Place ground meats in a bowl add the garlic, Italian seasoning and parsley and mix well.
- Shape into golf ball size and make a small indent in each ball. Place 1 or 2 small pieces of cheese curd in the indent and continue to shape into a ball. Ensure meat covers the cheese.
- Pre heat oven to 400 f and cook on a parchment lined tray until internal temperature of 165 f.
- Serve meatballs along with Gnocchi and garnish with chopped chives and fresh basil.
Pork Tenderloing With Blackberry Bacon Sauce
454g pork tenderloin
1 Tbsp butter
5 slices of bacon chopped roughly
2 C mushrooms sliced
2 C blackberries
2 garlic cloves minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp mint, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Rub pork tenderloin with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place on a wire rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast for 20 minutes on the middle oven rack, until an internal temperature of 160F is reached.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium high heat until melted, add chopped bacon. Stir until slightly crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to the pan. Reduce heat to medium.
- Stir until ingredients are well blended, slowly add balsamic vinegar and cook for 2 minutes. Add blackberries, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Keep sauce warm on stovetop until pork is cooked.
- Allow tenderloin to rest for 10 minutes then slice and cover with the blackberry sauce and sprinkle with fresh mint.
Ginger Glazed Carrots
4 C carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp ginger, finely minced
2 tsp brown Sugar
¼ C water
2 Tbsp chives, finely sliced
- Melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat. Stir in the ginger and sugar and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Toss in the carrots and stir to coat. Crank the heat up to medium high and pour in the water and put the lid on.
- Steam until tender, adding a touch more liquid if needed, about 8-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and stir in chives.
Chicken Stroganoff with Egg Noodles
½ onion, thinly sliced
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
3 garlic cloves, minced
400g chicken breast, boneless-skinless, sliced thinly
1 Tbsp steak spice
1 Tbsp paprika
½ cup cooking sherry
1 cup sour cream
½ cup whipping cream
½ cup chicken stock
2 tbsp olive oil
Parsley for garnish
- Heat a large frying pan to a medium-high heat. Season chicken generously with steak spice and paprika. Add a touch of oil to the frying pan and sear chicken until golden brown; remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same frying pan add 2 tbsp olive oil sliced onions, garlic and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until softened (2-3minutes).
- Add the cooking sherry to the skillet and simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Finally, add the sour cream, whipping cream and stock to the pan, season if needed with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer Add the sautéed chicken and cook until desired thickness . Serve over egg noodles or rice ! garnish with parsley.
Steak and Smoked Blue Cheese Pasta
4 x 150g top sirloin medalions
500g fresh pasta (or other broad noodle)
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 red nion, thinly sliced
1 lb baby bella mushrooms, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
150 ml white wine (optional)
500 ml 18% cream (Coffee Cream)
75 g smoked gorgonzola cheese
½ C walnuts, crushed and toasted
½ C Italian (flatleaf) parsley, chopped
- Season the steaks well with salt and pepper and grill over medium high heat until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest and cover with foil.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water until al-dente. Drain and toss with 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- While the pasta is cooking, cook the onion and mushrooms in butter and olive oil over medium high heat until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook another two minutes.
- Deglaze with the white wine and simmer until au sec (almost all liquid has evaporated).
- Pour in the cream and the cheese and simmer until the cream has thickened to a sauce like consistency. Toss the sauce with the noodles.
- Garnish the pasta with some thinly sliced steak, toasted walnuts and parsley.
Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan
1 broccoli bunch, cut into florets
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon Zest
1 Tbsp lemon Juice
½ C parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- Toss the broccoli florets with the olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season gently with salt and pepper.
- Spread the broccoli into one layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast, turning often, until tender and slightly crisp.
- Sprinkle with the parmesan and return to the oven for another few minutes to melt the cheese.
Family-style Maple Dijon Glazed Planked Salmon
2-3 lbs local salmon, whole side, skin on
¼ cup Dijon mustard, whole grain
¼ cup local maple syrup
5 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tbsp lemon zest
½ tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp pepper
To taste salt
1 Compliments Maple or cedar plank [pre-soaked]
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk mustard, maple syrup, garlic, lemon juice, smoked paprika, zest and pepper /salt.
- Marinate salmon for 20 minutes then place on the pre soaked cedar/ maple plank skin side down , spoon over the excess marinate over the salmon.
- Place plank on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and into the top rack of the oven. Cook until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve with Roasted Harvest Veggies.
Roasted Harvest Veggies
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
8 medium baby red potatoes, chopped
2 medium red beets, peeled and chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp lemon Juice
2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 tsp Allspice
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375F. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Place in a casserole dish and bake for 50-60 minutes while covered. Uncover, return to oven for 12-15 minutes.
Cilantro-Sesame Chicken Thighs with Peach Chutney
6 Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
½ C cilantro
1 lime, juiced and zested
2 tsp chili powder (optional)
¾ C canola oil
½ C sesame seeds
3 Tbsp butter (not needed if grilling)
- In a blender, blitz cilantro, lime juice and zest, chili powder (if using) and canola oil until smooth. Season with salt.
- Marinate the chicken in the cilantro oil overnight, if possible, or just toss it in the oil to coat
- Shake the excess marinade from the chicken and coat lightly with sesame seeds.
- Cook on a well oiled grill over medium heat, being careful not to burn the sesame seeds, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F.
- If you don’t have a grill, or it’s snowing, cook in a large pan set over medium heat, using 3 Tbsp of butter. Flip the chicken often to prevent the sesame from burning.
- Serve topped with Peach Chutney (recipe to follow), and some basmati rice cooked with lemongrass (recipe not to follow; cook the rice as per the instructions on the bag, but toss in a smashed stalk of lemongrass.)
Tip: This marinade is great for pork or even shrimp!
3-4 lg unripe peaches, peeled and diced
½ C red onion, diced
1 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp ginger paste, or fresh minced ginger
1 Tbsp canola oil
½ red bell pepper, diced
1/3 – ½ C brown sugar
1 lime, zested and juiced
Mild curry powder to taste
Siracha, or other hot sauce to taste
- Gently sauté onions, garlic and ginger in oil over low heat until onions are translucent.
- Add sugar and curry powder. Increase heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add peaches, pepper, siracha and lime. Cook at a simmer until peaches are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Serve with pork, chicken or seafood.
Tip: Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Herbed Turkey/Lamb Stuffed Peppers on the Grill
2 red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
1 tsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey or lamb
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 large egg white
2 tbsp panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup swiss cheese, shredded
1/2 cup yogurt, plain, 2% MF
2 tbsp tomato, diced
1 tbsp chives, chopped
1/2 tsp horseradish
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Preheat oven/BBQ to 400 F. Brush peppers with oil and place on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, onion, egg white, bread crumbs, one tbsp of cilantro, garlic and worchestershire sauce. Mix well and stuff 1/4 of the mixture into each pepper half. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over peppers and return to oven until cheese is melted.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, remaining tbsp of cilantro, tomato, chives, horseradish and mustard. Serve a spoonful of sauce with the stuffed peppers.
Sauteed Green Beans with Shallots
1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup shallots, diced
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, drop beans into the boiling water for 90 seconds and then remove to ice water
- Heat butter in a skillet and add shallots. Cook until they are soft. Add green beans to the pan with the shallots and toss to combine, for about 3 minutes. Season with pepper and serve.
Blackened Pork Chops & Lemon Garlic Roast Potatoes
2 tbsp (30 mL) paprika
1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
4 bone-in pork chops (about 6 oz/175 g each)
- To make seasoning, mix paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, cumin, oregano, thyme, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Season pork chops with remaining mixture.
- Grill chops on barbecue or grill pan preheated to medium-high heat, 6 to 8 min. per side, until 160°F (71°C) on meat thermometer is reached at thickest part of chop, or until meat is cooked and juices run clear.
Lemon Garlic Roast Potatoes
2 lbs local yellow fleshed potatoes, scrubbed clean
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, juiced and zested
4 Tbsp Cedrs Maroun garlic spread
2 Tbsp Italian parsley
- Cut potatoes into wedges, about 8 pieces per potato.
- Starting in cold, salted water, bring the potatoes to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until very tender, but not falling apart.
- Transfer drained potatoes to a large oven safe dish. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook at 425F, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, about 25 minutes.
- Toss crisp potatoes with 1 Tbsp of lemon juice, all of the lemon zest and the Maroun spread.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.