CTV News at 5 is helping you prepare for mealtime with some delicious dishes!
Every week we will share a recipe designed by the Sobeys team that you can try in your own kitchen. The recipes are easy to make with step-by-step instructions.
Check here every week for the latest recipe and visit Sobeys.com for the latest flyers to help you gather all the ingredients you will need.
Thai Coconut Curry with Tiger Shrimp and Mussels
1 bag Sensations Black Tiger Shrimp, uncooked, thawed, peeled.
1 lb fresh Mussels, rinsed and beards removed
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 C onion, julienned (cut into thin strips)
1 C red bell pepper, julienned (cut into thin strips)
¼ - ½ C red or green Thai curry paste, depending on your taste
2 cans Compliments Coconut Milk
1 C snap peas
½ C cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juiced and zested
Cooked jasmine rice or rice noodles to serve
Green onion and lime to garnish
- Sauté garlic and ginger in oil over medium high heat for one minute. Add in the onion and pepper and cook until just softened, about 4 minutes. Add in the snap peas and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the curry paste and let cook for 1 minute. Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add in the shrimp and mussels and cover. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the mussels open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice and zest, and the fresh cilantro.
- Serve over rice or noodles and garnish with sliced green onion and lime wedges.
Stuffed Pork Tenderloin & Roasted Cauliflower
300g pork Tenderloin
½ C cooked rice or quinoa
¼ C raisins
1 shallot, finely diced (or ¼ C red onions, finely diced)
2 tsp thyme, chopped
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite sized florets
1 pkg (375g) baby carrots
2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
½ C chicken stock
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Butterfly the pork by cutting along its length, being careful not to cut all the way through. The meat should open up like a book. Season the pork inside and out with salt and pepper. Place 3 lengths of twine under the pork, evenly spaced.
- In a medium bowl combine the rice or quinoa, raisins, shallot, thyme and mustard. Mound this mixture in a strip along the center of your butterflied pork, using your hands to pack it in tightly. Bring up the ends of the twine on both sides of the pork and knot tightly, enclosing the filling.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, cumin, cauliflower and carrots. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add half of your oil to an ovenproof skillet set over high heat. Place pork in centre of skillet or pan, tied-side up. Surround pork with cauliflower mixture and drizzle with remaining oil. Add broth to skillet. Turn stove heat off. Cover skillet tightly with foil.
- Roast pork in preheated oven 20 min. Remove foil and continue to roast until juices run clear or a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of tenderloin reads 160ºF (71ºC), about 5-10 min. Rest tenderloin 5 min. before slicing to serve.
Chef Tip: Ask one of our butchers to butterfly the pork for you!
Breakfast Burger with Parmesan Hash brown Crisps
Hash brown Crisps:
1 bag Compliments Shredded Hash brown
2 eggs, lightly beat
1 bunch green onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 C parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
4 store-made Breakfast Sausages
8 strips Compliments Maple Bacon, cooked until crisp
1 avocado, sliced
4 Tbsp Sensations Roasted Garlic Aioli
1 red Onion, sliced into thin rings
4 store Made Hamburger Buns
4 eggs, cooked sunny-side up
Butter-leaf or iceberg lettuce to garnish
- Combine all ingredients except the oil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Scoop into 2 Tbsp patties and fry over medium heat in oil until golden brown.
- Let drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Remove sausage from casing and form into 4 “burger” patties. Grill, or panfry, over medium heat until golden and cooked through.
- To assemble the burgers, spread aioli on both halves of the bun, top with the hash brown crisp, an onion slice or two, some lettuce, avocado and bacon. Place your cooked sausage patty on top of all this and top with your cooked egg.
Asian-inspired Roast Chicken
3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp honey
1 ½ Tbsp Chinese Five Spice
1 Tbsp Gourmets Garden basil paste
1 Tbsp Gourmets Garden lemon grass paste
1 Tbsp each garlic paste, ginger paste and chili paste
2 green onions, white parts finely chopped and green parts thinly sliced
3 to 3 ½ lb whole chicken or cut pieces
500ml chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin, honey, five spice, garlic, ginger, basil, and lemon grass and onion whites.
- Rub the spice mixture all over and inside chicken and let marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Place the chicken into a small baking dish covered with foil. Put the chicken into the preheated oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 350F.
- After 20 minutes, baste the chicken with the pan juices.
- Cook for 1 ½ hours, or until an internal temperature of 180F is reached.
- Serve with coconut rice and a side salad.
Cuban-Style Grilled Chicken Wraps
1 (1 lb/450 g) boneless chicken thighs
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1tsp cumin powder
1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) low-fat mayonnaise
1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
1 bag (1 lb/ 454 g) Compliments coleslaw mix
4 large white tortilla wraps (10-in./25-cm)
2 tsp (10 mL) mustard
2 dill pickles, thinly sliced
8 thin slices Compliments Swiss cheese
- In a bowl, toss chicken with olive oil, oregano ,cumin and salt. Cook on grill preheated to medium-high for 4 to 5 min. per side, or until just cooked through. Remove from grill.
- In another large bowl, mix mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add coleslaw mix and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread mustard on each tortilla. Top with cooked chicken , 1/4 cup (60 mL) coleslaw (reserve the rest), pickle slices, cheese slices. Firmly fold the bottom half of the wrap over the filling, fold in the sides and roll up to completely enclose filling.
- Place wraps on greased grill at medium-high heat and toast 2 to 3 min. per side, or until grill-marked. Cut each wrap in half. Serve immediately with remaining coleslaw.
Tips: For an added flavor twist, add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) celery seed to coleslaw. Or replace chicken with shrimp . Serve with a side salad or soup.
Seared Scallops with Sundried Tomato Aioli and Green Pea Risotto
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup shallots, small dice
3 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh thyme
3 cups Sensations Arborio Rice
1/2 cup white wine
8 cups vegetable stock, boiling
3 cups frozen green peas
3 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 cup asiago, grated
1.5 lbs large scallops, fresh or frozen
Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
3 tbsp Compliments sundried tomato pesto
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1/4 cup basil, chiffonade
- Bring vegetable stock to a simmer in a medium pot.
- Heat a wide-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add some cooking oil and the shallots, garlic and thyme. Once the onions are translucent, add the dry rice. Stir well, coating each grain in a little oil. Add white wine to deglaze pan, and cook until wine has almost evaporated. Begin adding boiling stock by the ladle full, one ladle at a time, stirring it into the rice. When liquid is soaked up or evaporated, add another ladle of stock. Continue this process, testing the doneness of the rice as you go. When rice is mostly cooked with just a slight crunch left, add the peas and tomatoes. Continue adding stock and stirring until rice is pleasantly al dente. Stir in asiago and remove from heat. Season as needed.
- Season fish and seafood well with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add oil and sear the scallops, 1-2 minutes per side, depending on thickness of the flesh.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and pesto.
- Portion risotto on a plate or bowl, place scallop onto each serving of rice, top with 1/2 tbsp of aioli, a fresh squirt of lemon, and basil.
Chef Tip: Stir a tablespoon of pesto into the finished risotto for added flavour.
Cheese-stuffed Meatball Sandwich
1/2 lb Sensations Dry cured bacon, cooked crisp and finely chopped
1 lb ground beef
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp local honey
2 tbsp canola oil
1 jar Compliments Sensations tomato sauce
1 tbsp fresh basil, thinly sliced
Salt, pepper and Tabasco, to taste
Bocconcini pearls, for stuffing, as needed
- Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco.
- Form into balls, and stuff with one or two pieces of cheese, depending on the size of your meatballs.
- Working in batches, brown the meatballs in oil over medium heat.
- Pour in the sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook the meatballs in the sauce on the stove until they're cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in the basil once the meatballs are fully cooked (165F)
- Serve on some storemade pretzel rolls with a bit of sliced onion, arugula and Sensations Roasted Garlic Aioli, or on spaghetti, if that's what you'd rather.
Chef Tip: These meatballs are great to make ahead and freeze. Just pop them on a tray after forming and freeze. Cook from frozen. Try some other meat/cheese combinations for a new flavour twist. How about smoked gouda and ground pork? Or brie with ground turkey?
Angel Hair Pasta with Mussels
500 g uncooked angel hair pasta
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups diced red bell pepper (about 2 medium)
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of ground red pepper
1 398 ml can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1/2 cup white wine
36 mussels (about 3 lbs) scrubbed and debearded
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper, salt and ground red pepper; saute 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium and add mussels. Cover and simmer 7 minutes or until shells open. Discard any unopened shells.
- Serve mussels over pasta; sprinkle with parsley.