CTV News at 5 is helping you prepare for mealtime with some delicious dishes!
Every week we will share a recipe designed by the Sobeys team that you can try in your own kitchen. The recipes are easy to make with step-by-step instructions.
Check here every week for the latest recipe and visit Sobeys.com for the latest flyers to help you gather all the ingredients you will need.
Cuban-Style Grilled Chicken Wraps
1 (1 lb/450 g) boneless chicken thighs
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1tsp cumin powder
1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) low-fat mayonnaise
1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
1 bag (1 lb/ 454 g) Compliments coleslaw mix
4 large white tortilla wraps (10-in./25-cm)
2 tsp (10 mL) mustard
2 dill pickles, thinly sliced
8 thin slices Compliments Swiss cheese
- In a bowl, toss chicken with olive oil, oregano ,cumin and salt. Cook on grill preheated to medium-high for 4 to 5 min. per side, or until just cooked through. Remove from grill.
- In another large bowl, mix mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add coleslaw mix and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread mustard on each tortilla. Top with cooked chicken , 1/4 cup (60 mL) coleslaw (reserve the rest), pickle slices, cheese slices. Firmly fold the bottom half of the wrap over the filling, fold in the sides and roll up to completely enclose filling.
- Place wraps on greased grill at medium-high heat and toast 2 to 3 min. per side, or until grill-marked. Cut each wrap in half. Serve immediately with remaining coleslaw.
Tips: For an added flavor twist, add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) celery seed to coleslaw. Or replace chicken with shrimp . Serve with a side salad or soup.
Seared Scallops with Sundried Tomato Aioli and Green Pea Risotto
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup shallots, small dice
3 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh thyme
3 cups Sensations Arborio Rice
1/2 cup white wine
8 cups vegetable stock, boiling
3 cups frozen green peas
3 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 cup asiago, grated
1.5 lbs large scallops, fresh or frozen
Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
3 tbsp Compliments sundried tomato pesto
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1/4 cup basil, chiffonade
- Bring vegetable stock to a simmer in a medium pot.
- Heat a wide-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add some cooking oil and the shallots, garlic and thyme. Once the onions are translucent, add the dry rice. Stir well, coating each grain in a little oil. Add white wine to deglaze pan, and cook until wine has almost evaporated. Begin adding boiling stock by the ladle full, one ladle at a time, stirring it into the rice. When liquid is soaked up or evaporated, add another ladle of stock. Continue this process, testing the doneness of the rice as you go. When rice is mostly cooked with just a slight crunch left, add the peas and tomatoes. Continue adding stock and stirring until rice is pleasantly al dente. Stir in asiago and remove from heat. Season as needed.
- Season fish and seafood well with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add oil and sear the scallops, 1-2 minutes per side, depending on thickness of the flesh.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and pesto.
- Portion risotto on a plate or bowl, place scallop onto each serving of rice, top with 1/2 tbsp of aioli, a fresh squirt of lemon, and basil.
Chef Tip: Stir a tablespoon of pesto into the finished risotto for added flavour.
Cheese-stuffed Meatball Sandwich
1/2 lb Sensations Dry cured bacon, cooked crisp and finely chopped
1 lb ground beef
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp local honey
2 tbsp canola oil
1 jar Compliments Sensations tomato sauce
1 tbsp fresh basil, thinly sliced
Salt, pepper and Tabasco, to taste
Bocconcini pearls, for stuffing, as needed
- Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco.
- Form into balls, and stuff with one or two pieces of cheese, depending on the size of your meatballs.
- Working in batches, brown the meatballs in oil over medium heat.
- Pour in the sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook the meatballs in the sauce on the stove until they're cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in the basil once the meatballs are fully cooked (165F)
- Serve on some storemade pretzel rolls with a bit of sliced onion, arugula and Sensations Roasted Garlic Aioli, or on spaghetti, if that's what you'd rather.
Chef Tip: These meatballs are great to make ahead and freeze. Just pop them on a tray after forming and freeze. Cook from frozen. Try some other meat/cheese combinations for a new flavour twist. How about smoked gouda and ground pork? Or brie with ground turkey?
Angel Hair Pasta with Mussels
500 g uncooked angel hair pasta
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups diced red bell pepper (about 2 medium)
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of ground red pepper
1 398 ml can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1/2 cup white wine
36 mussels (about 3 lbs) scrubbed and debearded
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper, salt and ground red pepper; saute 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium and add mussels. Cover and simmer 7 minutes or until shells open. Discard any unopened shells.
- Serve mussels over pasta; sprinkle with parsley.
4 slices thick cut smoked bacon
2 cups chopped onion
1 tsp dry thyme
½ tsp chopped rosemary
3 cloves minced garlic
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 (14oz) cans Compliments diced tomatoes, drained
2 cans Compliments white beans drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken stock
1 lb store made salt and pepper sausage cut into 1 inch slices
1 lb store made Italian sausages cut into 1 inch slices
8 tsp shredded parmesan cheese
8 tsp finely chopped parsley
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and crumble. Add onion, thyme, rosemary and garlic to drippings; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in crumbled bacon, salt, pepper, and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Add half of the beans to the pot and mash with a potato masher until chunky. Add remaining half of the beans, sausage and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Turn back to medium and cover for additional 20 minutes or until sausage is fully cooked.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley. Warm bread is also a great addition
Chicken Scaloppini with a Mushroom Tarragon and Goat Cheese Sauce
4 cups sliced compliments mini-bella mushrooms
1 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
4 cups Compliments beef broth (sodium reduced)
1 (113g) Compliments goat cheese
½ cup half/half cream
2 shallots, finely diced
2 tbsp butter
Chicken Scaloppini –Store made
4 store made breaded chicken scaloppini
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Sensations parmesan and garlic butter
- Prepare sauce in a large frying pan over a medium high heat; add butter, mushrooms and diced shallot. Cook until golden brown.
- Add beef broth, simmer and reduce until half remains.
- Add cream and goat cheese. Heat and allow cheese to melt, do not boil. At the last minute add fresh tarragon.
- Serve over cooked fettuccini pasta and steamed asparagus
- Prepare the scaloppini in a large skillet on a medium-high heat, add olive oil and place breaded chicken presentation side down in the oil.
- Cook until golden brown, turn and repeat.
- Once chicken is cooked through turn heat off and add in parmesan butter. Baste chicken with melted butter then remove from skillet.
Blueberry and Goat Cheese Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
1 (113g) log goats cheese
½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
1 ½ cups fresh blueberries, or frozen and thawed
1 shallot, minced
1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
1 tsp lemon zest
2 (2 ½ lb total) pork tenderloins
¼ tsp salt and pepper
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp canola oil
¼ cup chicken broth
- Mix together all stuffing ingredients; refrigerate while working with pork tenderloin.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Cut both pork tenderloins along its length, being careful not to cut through the meat, open up like a book. Cover with plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, or a pot, flatten both into 1/4 inch thickness. Uncover and season with half the salt and pepper.
- Divide the stuffing and place along the center of both pork tenderloins, roll up to encase the stuffing and secure with butchers twine.
- Rub both tenderloins with Dijon mustard and then season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. Sear pork for 2-4 minutes pre-side.
- Place in oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden and it reaches an internal temperature of 160F.
- Place pork on a cutting board, tent with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing
- Place pan back on heat and deglaze with broth, drizzle over sliced pork.
Italian Meatball with Herb & Cheese Strata with Fresh Greens
1 pkg store made Italian Meatballs, cooked & cut in half
1 lb Compliments Mixed Baby Potatoes, cooked and cut in half
2 cups, divided local Holmestead Feta Cheese
1 large Sobeys Artisan Ciabatta Bread, cut into 2-3cm cubes
2 C milk
1.5 C 18% Cream
5 large eggs
½ - 1 C Parmigiano-Reggiano - Parmesan Cheese
1 Tbsp roasted garlic paste
1 Tbsp basil, chopped
1 Tbsp oregano, chopped or pureed
312g fresh mixed greens, re-washed & picked
1 C baby tomatoes, washed and cut in half
To taste, fresh cracked black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 13x9 glass baking/casserole dish. Line the bottom of the dish with half of the bread cubes and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, parmesan cheese, garlic, herbs, and pepper together. Pour 1-2 cups of this mixture over the bread, gently pressing to ensure it all gets soaked up. Spread half of the feta cheese, meatballs, and potatoes on top of the bread and egg mixture. Repeat this process once more, pressing the top layer down gently with a weighted sheet pan/dish helps the mixture to be absorbed evenly. Spread ½ cup feta as the final/top layer. Set aside to absorb for 10-15 minutes or cover and set overnight in the refrigerator if desired.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes uncovered until almost firm in the centre. Allow to set and cool slightly before serving. Dress the greens & baby tomatoes if desired and serve with the hot/warm Strata.