HALIFAX -- A man is in custody hours after he barricaded himself inside his home in Fredericton, prompting some schools to be placed in lockdown or hold and secure.

Police responded to the home on Gregg Court around 8 a.m. Thursday after a neighbour reported seeing a man with a firearm. 

Police were asking people to avoid the College Hill Road and Montgomery Street area and a number of streets were blocked to traffic for most of the day.  

More than 60 additional resources were deployed to the scene, including the Emergency Response Team, crisis negotiators, drone operators and mental health professional, among others. 

Police say crisis negotiators were able to keep in contact with the man for several hours. He eventually exited the home on his own and was taken into custody without incident. No injuries were reported.

The 28-year-old man, who has not been identified, is known to police and could face charges. 

"Our major crime team will lay charges based on whether or not he's on any orders," said Fredericton Police Force Insp. Kimberly Quartermain. "The offences that they determine through their investigation with witnesses today, so anyone that was taken out of that home or the area we interviewed, and as well as any weapons offences."

Police say they found two long guns, a bulletproof vest and knives in the home. 

Montgomery Street Elementary School was in lockdown all day as a precaution. Students were evacuated from the school to the Grant-Harvey Centre before 3 p.m. Families were able to pick children up from the facility.

Ecole Sainte-Anne and Ecole des Battiseurs were in hold and secure all day Thursday. Priestman Elementary School was under a hold-and-secure order Thursday morning, but it was lifted in the afternoon.

The incident also affected post-secondary schools in the city.

St. Thomas University and the University of New Brunswick were in hold and secure, with students being asked to avoid the campus.

Students who were already on campus were urged to shelter in place Thursday morning. They were able to safely leave the campus Thursday afternoon, but were told not to return until given the all-clear.

The universities have since lifted the hold-and-secure order.

NBCC Fredericton was also in hold and secure Thursday. Students and staff were eventually able to safely leave the campus and the hold and secure has been lifted.