Two pets were killed in a house fire last night in the north end of Halifax.

Firefighters rushed to a two-storey home on Robie Street around 7 p.m. Thursday.

They say all the people inside the home managed to get out safely, but two cats died in the blaze.

“I’d say there was extensive heat and smoke damage on the second flood and possibly smoke damage on the first floor as well,” says Halifax Fire Capt. Brad Connors.

Fire officials say the damage to the home is significant.

They also say the fire was an accident and likely started from a pot of oil on the stove.