Parsnip and Apple Soup
Published Tuesday, November 17, 2020 3:31PM AST
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 2 lbs parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- ½ tsp cardamom, ground (optional)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon, ground
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- Water to cover
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Add in the butter and olive oil.
- When the butter starts to foam, add in the onion and celery and cook for three minutes.
- Add the parsnip, apple, cardamom and cinnamon to the pot and cook for two more minutes.
- Finally, add the thyme, enough water to just cover the ingredients and a big pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and simmer for fifteen to twenty minutes or until the parsnips are soft.
- Take the pot off the heat and purée using an immersion blender.
- Serve the soup as is or pass through a fine-mesh seize for a more velvety texture.