Smoked California Almond and Cherry Dressing
Published Tuesday, October 13, 2020 3:45PM ADT Last Updated Tuesday, October 13, 2020 3:46PM ADT
HALIFAX, N.S. -- Prep Time: 20 minutes
Grill Time: 35-45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- ¾ cup salted butter
- 1 loaf day-old crusty bread, torn into pieces (about 9-10 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups chopped celery
- 1 ½ cups chopped carrots
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (like rosemary, thyme and sage)
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup unsalted almonds, roughly chopped
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 2 large eggs
- Zest of one lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a preheated 400 degree grill, place bread on a cookie sheet and toast until nicely browned.
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat, and add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the fresh herbs, chicken stock, and bay leaf.
- Add the toasted bread, and stir to combine.
- Set aside and allow the bread to absorb the liquid.
- Once the mixture has cooled slightly, stir in almonds, cherries, zest and eggs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Place cast iron pan in a preheated charcoal grill around the 350-400 degree mark.
- Add cherry wood for extra cherry smoke flavour.
- Grill dressing over indirect heat for 35-45 minutes, until nicely browned and slightly puffy.