Thai Street Noodle Chicken Soup Recipe
Published Wednesday, November 18, 2020 5:10PM AST
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) peanut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated ginger
- ½ lb (250 g) skinless boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each turmeric and salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red curry paste
- 1 carton (900 mL) chicken broth
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk, preferably light
- ¼ cup (60 mL) peanut butter
- 3 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each fish sauce and lime juice
- 4 oz (125 g) rice noodles, preferably about ¼-inch (1-cm) thick
- Chopped peanuts
- Lime wedges
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger, stirring occasionally until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, very thinly slice chicken into bite-sized strips. Place in a bowl and toss with turmeric and salt.
- Add to onions and cook until chicken is done, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in curry paste.
- Add broth, coconut milk, peanut butter and mushrooms. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes to allow flavours to blend, adding tomatoes to soup in the last 2 minutes.
- Stir in fish sauce, lime juice and salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, break noodles in half and place in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water. Let stand until soft, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Divide noodles between 4 large, deep soup bowls. Ladle soup over noodles.
- Garnish with cilantro, peanuts and a lime wedge.
Tip: For a vegetarian version, try substituting tofu for chicken and vegetable broth for chicken broth.