LONG POINT, N.B. -- RCMP divers have found the bodies of two men who were inside a pickup truck that drove off a New Brunswick ferry over the weekend.

On Monday, the bodies and truck were recovered from the bay, and the identity of the victims confirmed. The victims are a 37-year-old man from Mill Brook, N.B., and a 49-year-old man from Whites Mountain, N.B.

Autopsies on both men will be conducted.

According to Hampton Fire & Rescue, the pick-up truck drove off the end of the ferry around 2 a.m. Sunday while crossing the Belleisle Bay at Long Point, N.B., about 30 kilometres northeast of Saint John, N.B., early Sunday.

"About two o'clock this morning we received a call for assistance with our boat for a vehicle that went in the water, and they've been here ever since with the Coast Guard and RCMP doing searches, but nothing has come up yet," said Hampton Fire & Rescue chief Roger Breau on Sunday afternoon.

New Brunswick RCMP Cpl. Jullie Rogers-Marsh says the bodies and the truck were located Sunday evening in about 24 metres of water.

It's believed that the pickup truck accelerated forward, driving up the ramp of the ferry, and into the water.

Rogers-Marsh says the coroner has been notified as investigators try to piece together what happened.

Members of the Southeast RCMP, the Hampton Fire Department, the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre, the Coast Guard, the New Brunswick Department of Environment, the Cormorant helicopter from CFB Greenwood and the RCMP's Underwater Recovery Team conducted searches of the water.

The Belleisle Bay Ferry is a 15-car vessel that runs year-round between Route 124 and 850 in New Brunswick. It is a one kilometre route, and takes about seven minutes to travel by ferry across the bay.

Joint Rescue Coordination Centre Lieutenant-Commander Brian Owens tells CTV News that the vessel was nearing the mid-point of the trip when the vehicle went off the ferry.

The JRCC immediately dispatched a Cormorant helicopter along with a fast-rescue craft, but were not able to find anything.

The RCMP's 'J-Divison' underwater recovery team arrived on the scene at 1:30 p.m. Sunday.

RCMP, N.B. Department of Transportation, Hampton Fire & Rescue, and the JRCC all responded to the scene.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing.