Halifax Police reveal identity of second homicide victim in three days
Halifax Regional Police are investigating another fatal shooting in the city.
Police received several reports of shots fired on Cragg Avenue in central Halifax shortly after 11 p.m. Monday.
Officers responded to the area and found a man suffering from life-threatening injuries outside a home. Police say he had been shot.
The Halifax man was taken to the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, where he died.
Neighbour Trisha Callaghan says 58-year-old Terry Izzard was shot on his own doorstep.
“People were saying when it first happened, he was talking,” said Callaghan. “When the paramedics got there, he wasn’t talking anymore.”
Callaghan says it seemed to ‘take forever’ before help arrived.
“Halifax makes you scared to raise children in anymore,” she said.
Neighbour Joan Mendes says Izzard was well-liked. When he wasn’t jogging or at work, Mendes says he used to stop in for coffee and do his laundry in the North End Parent Resource Centre.
“For that to happen to him makes no sense,” said Mendes. “He really didn’t run with the crowd. I can’t see why they would do something like that to someone who really wasn’t a danger to anyone.”
Police are still looking for a suspect, but did not provide a description.
Homicide detectives spent the day canvassing the neighbourhood hoping to speak with witnesses. Police say every hour counts when it comes to solving a case like this one.
“We cannot solve this crime alone,” said Const. Phil Power of Halifax Regional Police. “We definitely need the community to reach out to us.”
This is the third shooting in as many days in the Halifax area.
Police responded to Washmill Lake Drive in Halifax after receiving several reports of shots fired around 5 p.m. Saturday. When officers arrived, they found a 21-year-old man dead at the scene.
The victim has been identified as Shakur Jefferies. Carvel Clayton, a 21-year-old Halifax rapper, has been charged with second-degree murder in his death.
Police are also investigating a shooting in Bedford, N.S.
Officers were called to the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre around 5:25 a.m. Sunday after a shooting victim arrived at the hospital.
The 29-year-old Bedford man was treated and released from hospital Sunday afternoon.
Police obtained and executed a search warrant at the man’s home on Redden Court in Bedford. Investigators determined the man was shot inside his home and they located an unsecured firearm during their search. Officers also seized a quantity of cash and drug paraphernalia.
The man is due to appear in Halifax provincial court at a later date to face weapons-related charges.
Police are still looking for a suspect in connection with the shooting. Investigators say it’s too early to say whether the shooting incidents are related, but they are exploring all possibilities.
Local residents say with every shooting, frustration is growing.
“The community is devastated. There is just a sad cloud over the community,” said Rhonda Britton, pastor at the Cornwallis Street Baptist Church.
“I know a couple kids who got caught with guns and they’re still out today, so there’s nothing being done with the gun violence,” said resident Eddie Johnson.
Mayor Mike Savage says while gun amnesty programs will continue, government, police and community leaders need to address the root cause.
“While crime has gone down in the last number of years we have issues with gun violence,” Savage said. “We do in this province have a history of racism and communities that don't have opportunities.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact police.
With files from CTV Atlantic’s Kelly Linehan.