Disappearance of N.S. man being investigated as a homicide
DARTMOUTH -- It is the kind of news no family of a missing person wants to hear, but on Monday, investigators in Nova Scotia have determined that the disappearance of a man almost five months ago in Colchester County is a homicide.
Just over a month ago, Tony Walsh's family made an emotional plea for information, after the 35-year-old man hadn't been seen since August 2019.
"We just want him home," said Walsh's mother Susan Robben. "It's what we need."
At the time, the Nova Scotia RCMP released a videotaped statement from the family hoping to generate leads.
It did, but now, Walsh's family knows he won't be coming home.
"We certainly have been working with the family and informed them before we went public with that information," said Nova Scotia RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Jennifer Clarke.
Police had no new information on the case to share on Monday.
Peter Anthony Walsh – known to friends and family as Tony – was last seen on the afternoon of Aug. 23 getting into a truck in Truro.
RCMP say Walsh had driven to various locations that day, including Millbrook, Truro, and Debert.
His car, a Chrysler Sebring, was later located by his family in the parking lot of a Truro business.
He was reported missing on Aug. 28.
Monday's news was devastating to his family.
"I can tell you that there is a really close bond between the investigators and the family and, there's a lot of emotion invested in that relationship and it must be incredibly difficult for that family to hear that news," Clarke said.
"Tony is a son, brother, father, uncle, and friend to many, and we all miss him dearly," Robben said.
The RCMP say releasing the video from the family last month helped generate information for investigators, but police can't say if any specific tip led to this development.
"I can't speak to what exactly happened to make them sort of change their perspective on the investigation, but we know for sure today it's being investigated as a homicide," Clarke said.
For Walsh's family, it means more waiting -- the only outcome left to hope for now is answers.
Investigators are still looking for information from the public in this case, saying that no tip is too small or insignificant and that someone knows something that could make a difference.
"We appreciate the tips and information that have come to us as a result of the media releases and the video appeal,” said Sgt. Glenn Bonvie, of the RCMP’s Northeast Nova Major Crimes Unit, in a news release Monday.
“We believe there are people in the community who know what happened and we need them to come forward.”
Anyone with information about Walsh’s death or disappearance is asked to contact the RCMP or Crime Stoppers.