N.B. opposition leaders call for more COVID-19 restrictions before it’s 'too late'
With 80 people needing hospitalization in New Brunswick after contracting COVID-19 over the weekend, some politicians are calling for the province to move to the most restrictive level of its COVID-19 Winter Plan.
Level 3 is similar to what the province went through at the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020, where only essential retailers can remain open, spas, gyms, entertainment centres are closed, restaurants can only do takeout and residents can only socialize with their own household.
The threshold to reach Level 3 is 100 people being treated in hospital, or 50 people in intensive care. Currently, the province is in Level 2.
“What is being done to ensure our health-care system will be able to handle what’s coming based on what we’ve seen elsewhere,” asked New Brunswick Liberal Leader Roger Melanson, during a news conference Monday.
Melanson wonders if moving to Level 3 could alleviate some of that pressure on the system.
Green Party Leader David Coon made similar comments.
“The government should implement the Level 3 measures to limit public gatherings to slow the spread of COVID in communities with major outbreaks,” he said in a news release. “This will reduce community spread and should ease the pressure on our hospitals, enabling students to return to school more quickly.”
Coon said he’s particularly concerned about the situation in Saint John and Moncton regions, where active case counts are at least 3,176 and 2,152 respectively.
As of Monday, there are 86 people in hospital due to COVID-19, with 13 in intensive care.
Horizon Health said Monday 136 of its workers are off work after testing positive for the virus – but none of its hospitals are over capacity. However, Fredericton’s Chalmers Hospital in Fredericton is close, at 98 per cent capacity.
On Sunday, 201 PCR tests revealed positive results – much lower than what was being reported last week. That’s due to new testing protocols that only see those over 50 have access to a PCR test. The rest must rely on rapid screening tests.
Health Minister Dorothy Shephard said about 3,800 positive rapid tests have been reported to the province since the online portal was launched Jan. 5.
That number is up from 2,009 on Friday.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
BREAKING 4 teens stabbed outside Montreal high school: police
Montreal police say four teenagers suffered stab wounds after an altercation near John F. Kennedy High School in the city's Villeray—Saint-Michel—Parc-Extension borough on Thursday.
PM Trudeau announces massive cuts to Canada's immigration targets
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the government is slashing immigration targets as he admits the government did not get the balance right following the COVID-19 pandemic.
'The mom is shattered': Body of employee who died at Halifax Walmart was found by her mother
The Maritime Sikh Society says the body of a young employee who died at a Walmart in Halifax last weekend was found by her mother.
'Horrific': Four people dead after Tesla slams into pillar and catches fire on Lake Shore Boulevard in Toronto
Four people are dead and another is in hospital after a Tesla driving through downtown Toronto at a high rate of speed crashed into a guardrail and struck a concrete pillar on Lake Shore Boulevard.
Vince McMahon, embattled former CEO of WWE, sued for allegedly enabling sexual abuse
A new lawsuit alleges Vince McMahon knowingly enabled the sexual exploitation of children by a WWE employee in the 1980s.
Ontario family loses dream home after $38K deposit falls through
It's a dream for many Canadians, trying to save up enough money for a down payment on their very first home. That was also the dream for the Esmeralda family, a family of five with two dogs who currently live in a Scarborough apartment building.
This radioactive gas is a leading cause of lung cancer. Here's how to check if it's in your home
Radon is a radioactive gas found in nearly every Canadian home. A new research study is putting a renewed spotlight on the invisible, odourless element that is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in Canada.
Prosecutors are set to reveal whether they favour resentencing Erik and Lyle Menendez
Prosecutors are set to announce whether or not they recommend that Erik and Lyle Menendez be resentenced for the 1989 killings of their parents in Beverly Hills.
Sask. RCMP hunt for armed suspects who shot construction worker, stole a truck
The RCMP is warning residents in northeast Saskatchewan to seek shelter and avoid picking up hitchhikers as police search for a group of armed and dangerous suspects.