N.B. reports 3 new COVID-19 cases in Campbellton region; Moncton region could return to yellow phase
HALIFAX -- New Brunswick reported three new cases of COVID-19, all in Zone 5 (the Campbellton region), on Monday.
Among the new cases in Zone 5 is one person in their teens, one person in their 40s and another person in their 60s. They are all self-isolating.
As of Monday, 92,899 tests had been conducted. There are now 313 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in New Brunswick. Three people have died and 207 people have recovered, leaving 103 active cases in the province. Sixty of the province's 103 active cases are in Zone 5.
There are four people in hospital and one of them is in intensive care.
ZONE 1 COULD RETURN TO YELLOW PHASE
There are 40 active cases in Zone 1 (the Moncton region) but Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick's chief medical officer of health, said the novel coronavirus appears to be contained, and that area could go back to the yellow phase this Thursday.
"There is a consistent downward trend in Zone 1," Dr. Russell said. "The orange level is working and everybody who tested positive is self-isolating at home."
She said it's a different story in the Campbellton region and public health staff have reported numerous cases in workplaces and social settings where public health guidelines are not being followed, including failing to wear a mask and physically distance.
"This is a huge risk for the region of Campbellton," Dr. Russell said as she encouraged people there to do their "civic duty."
"Redouble your efforts," she said. "Only you have the capacity."
New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs had a warning for people in Zone 5.
"The number of cases has not declined and the risk of community spread remains a factor," he said. "You must follow the public health guidelines so we can turn this around."
Residents in Zone 5 are being urged to limit their contacts and keep to their two-family bubble.
Higgs also said further restrictions, including fines, could be implemented in the number of cases continue to rise and restrictions aren't followed.
POSSIBLE SCHOOL EXPOSURE
Families with children at la Mosaique du Nord school in Balmoral, N.B., were notified Sunday of a positive case in the school. No details about the case were released.
The school closed Monday so health officials could conduct contact tracing. Anyone who has been in close contact with the case will be notified by Public Health.