N.S. carpenter paralyzed in work injury on Highway 104 project frustrated by Workers' Compensation Board
Daily life at the MacKay household in Trenton, N.S., has changed dramatically ever since 50-year-old Matthew was paralyzed while working on the twinning of Nova Scotia Highway 104.
The $364.3 million construction project is meant to address safety concerns along the stretch of highway between Sutherlands River and Antigonish. The newly twinned section opened Dec. 6, the same day CTV News spoke to the MacKays.
“You think that you're going to be taken care of, until you go through it,” says his wife, Jodi, tears welling in her eyes.
The Aug. 3 incident wasn't made public by the province at the time it happened.
The Department of Labour has confirmed to CTV News that officers with the safety branch responded to a safety incident that occurred on Hwy. 104 in Barney’s River, in which “one worker fell from heights resulting in injuries and was taken to hospital.”
Two stop work orders were issued the same day and were lifted Aug. 24 after an inspection to verify the worksite was safe.
It says it does not typically send out a news release about workplace incidents “unless it is to address matters of public safety.”
The department says the investigation is continuing.
As an experienced carpenter, Matthew had been working in housing construction until he heard about the work available with the project. It was Matthew’s first time on a highway project, and he was put to work constructing forms for concrete pouring.
A video he took of the jobsite roughly a week before the incident shows his point of view working on a bridge overpass, a wooden safety rail visible.
“The first fall was 10 feet, the safety rail broke,” says Jodi. “And then he went up the ladder, and went over to the side of the rail, fell again 25 feet, fell on a five-gallon pail of nuts and bolts.”
Matthew doesn’t remember the accident. Jodi says she got the details from a co-worker at the site and from safety investigators.
Matthew was first taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital, then transported by LifeFlight to Halifax for emergency surgery.
The incident rendered him a T4-T5 paraplegic.
After weeks of recovery and rehabilitation, he came home Oct. 21.
An avid woodsman and fisherman, Matthew wants to regain his independence.
“It's going to be different now, with the chair,” he says.
However, despite being approved through the Workers' Compensation Board of Nova Scotia (WCB), renovations to make his home wheelchair accessible, which must be initiated by the WCB and carried out by WCB-approved contractors, have yet to begin.
It’s now four months and counting after his paralysis, and the MacKays are frustrated.
“There's never, ever a reason given why it's taken so long,” says Jodi.
Waiting for the renovations means Matthew can’t wheel into a shower. Instead, his wife helps lift him from his rented wheelchair into a tub chair, something she’s concerned is a safety hazard.
The home only has one wheelchair accessible entrance and no way for Matthew to get to the basement.
A wheelchair ramp into the home was built by family and friends shortly after the accident, after Jodi says it was clear the WCB would not have one built in time for his homecoming.
“What's happening to Matthew and his family unfortunately is not a unique situation,” says Mary Lloyd, the president of the Pictou County Injured Workers Association.
Lloyd says the renovations needed at the MacKay home are straightforward compared to others she’s seen in her 30 years of experience.
“They [WCB] knew the first week of Matthew’s injury that he was paraplegic,” says Lloyd. “It’s really bathroom modifications, rails, handgrips."
“Those initial things should have been done when he was discharged from the rehabilitation centre. He’d come home, he could access his home, he could go to his washroom,” she says.
Lloyd believes it’s only through Jodi’s efforts, with assistance from the association and local MLA Pat Dunn, that any progress was made in getting contractors to look at the home.
But there are still hurdles, she says.
“Even last week, we found out the wheelchair hadn't been ordered, which he, measurements and everything were done long ago, so it's just incompetence,” says Lloyd.
According to the WCB, a “relatively small number” of its 20,000 annual claims require home renovation.
No one from the WCB would speak directly to the MacKays’ case, citing privacy concerns.
But its vice-president of service excellence says the organization realizes delays are difficult on workers and their families.
“Where an essential service is identified, we try to do it as expeditiously as possible,” says Wendy Griffin. “We understand that time delays in this type of service are an added stress.”
Griffin says there’s no standard timeline for accessibility renovations, as every case is different.
But she acknowledges worker shortages in construction are part of the issue.
“Certainly, the WCB are experiencing challenges securing contractor services,” says Griffin. “So, we're challenging ourselves to really take a step back and think about the processes that we use to secure this kind of service.”
“We are always looking to improve and evaluate how we deliver services,” she adds.
For the MacKays, those words aren’t enough to relieve the strain of trying to manage their new reality.
“This is not just me, this happens every day to people, and they're treated the same way,” says Matthew. “They’ve got to do a better job.”
“People talk about how health care is in such a crisis,” adds Jodi. “There's so many more crises and WCB is one.”
The couple says contractors who came to their home Thursday told them work on modifications likely won’t begin until the new year.
In the meantime, they are thankful for the support from their three children and the community.
“Our kids help a lot,” Jodi says. “It’s just day by day.”
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
The oldest preserved vertebrate brain has been found in a 319-million-year-old fossilized fish skull that was removed from an English coal mine over a century ago.
A B.C. man who was mistaken for the target in a police takedown and shot by an officer in 2013 has had his lawsuit alleging negligence dismissed.
Three bodies found in a vacant Detroit-area apartment building have been identified as those of three aspiring rappers who went missing nearly two weeks ago, police said Friday.
A jury on Friday decided Elon Musk didn't deceive investors with his 2018 tweets about electric automaker Tesla.
A new research from a citizen science program suggests that stars are disappearing before our eyes at an 'astonishing rate.'
Canada announced that it had called China's ambassador onto the carpet as Ottawa and Washington expressed their disapproval Friday over a high-altitude balloon found to have been hovering over sensitive sites in the United States.
A federal government department has fired 49 employees who received the Canada Emergency Response Benefit while they were employed.
White-tailed deer may be a reservoir for COVID-19 variants of concern including Alpha, Delta and Gamma, according to new research out of Cornell University that raises questions about whether deer could re-introduce nearly extinct variants back into the human population.
Mexican actor Pablo Lyle was sentenced Friday to five years in prison for involuntary manslaughter after fatally punching a man during a road rage confrontation in Miami in 2019.
Speed cameras clocked a car driving 70 km/h over the limit. Here's how the owner fought the ticket and won
After being charged with speeding by a city-operated photo radar device, a Toronto family was able to successfully fight the charge in court largely due to one small detail.
The death of a longtime CBC journalist who was shoved to the ground in Toronto has now been classified as a homicide and police have issued an arrest warrant for a suspect in the case.
Police are investigating a stabbing in downtown Toronto Friday night.
Alberta's high court is being asked to overturn a review board decision relating to the stabbing deaths of five young people at a Calgary house party on the grounds the former provincial justice minister interfered.
Thousands of Alberta lawyers are expected to take part in an online debate Monday morning over the issue of mandatory Indigenous history training.
Alberta's justice minister is celebrating Friday's scrapped amendments to the federal firearms legislation, but Tyler Shandro believes more work needs to be done on Bill C-21.
A reclusive billionaire who headed a Montreal tech company is stepping down one day after Radio-Canada/CBC published a report that alleged he paid teenage girls for sex for more than a decade.
Funeral services were held Friday for two people who died in a Saint-Roch-de-L'Achigan, Que. explosion last month. Celine Pilon and France Desrosiers, both 65 years old, were killed on Jan. 12 following an explosion at a propane facility.
Eater Montreal is shutting down its online publication that for years has been a go-to source for the happenings in the city's distinguished food and dining scene. Food critics in Montreal are now wondering what the loss will mean for local businesses that relied on the publications reviews.
An Edmonton man who received a ticket from the city under the phase 2 residential parking ban earlier this week says his street has finally been plowed — five days after his vehicle was ticketed.
A skincare line created by a team of local doctors is about to get its 15 minutes of fame.
New MRI-radiation hybrid machine in Alberta expected to improve cancer treatment by at least 20 per cent
Technology in Alberta that is expected to allow doctors to more accurately and effectively treat cancerous tumours with radiation enters clinical trials next week.
Canada's newest millionaire, an 18-year-old university freshman from northern Ontario, has achieved a lot of firsts with a recent lottery win. Here is her story.
Ontario Provincial Police have closed a portion of Highway 400 north of Toronto following multiple collisions due to whiteout conditions.
An investigation that lasted almost two years has resulted in moose hunting violation convictions for six people and a lodge in Red Lake in northwestern Ontario.
The public is being asked to avoid the area of Sixth Avenue in Woodstock, Ont. on Friday afternoon due to an “active police investigation” following a grim discovery made by police.
Extreme cold and snow squall warnings are impacting roads and school bus operations in the region, and multiple area roads and highways have been closed by OPP due to hazardous driving conditions.
After a trial in the spring, Elkan Vyizigaro, 26, and Jamie Ryckman, 27 — who were charged with several human trafficking-related offences involving a London woman — were found guilty.
A fire destroyed a popular paint and hobby shop in Winkler Thursday afternoon with black smoke prompting Winkler police to close off a stretch of Highway 32 for more than an hour.
Manitoba has expanded the types of identification acceptable for use to purchase liquor, cannabis and lottery tickets in the province.
The Winnipeg Police Service responded to two homicides in the span of two hours this week.
A federal government department has fired 49 employees who received the Canada Emergency Response Benefit while they were employed.
CTVNewsOttawa.ca looks at the cancellations and closures in the Ottawa area due to the extreme cold temperatures.
EXTREME COLD WARNING
EXTREME COLD WARNING | Deep freeze hits Ottawa, wind chill drops below -40
Extreme cold temperatures will continue to grip Ottawa and eastern Ontario Friday night and Saturday morning, with the wind chill making it feel colder than -40.
BHP is moving forward with its plans to build the world's largest potash mine.
After months of driving around the city with an advertisement for a kidney donor on her bright red car, Debbie Onishenko will soon be able to rip off the decals as her search has ended.
The community of Dundurn is rallying behind a firefighter who lost her home in a fire.
Service on Vancouver's Canada Line SkyTrain was disrupted during rush hour Friday evening because of what authorities described as a medical emergency.
Homicide investigators are looking into whether a vehicle fire in Surrey on Thursday morning is connected to the fatal shooting of a 17-year-old boy in Burnaby hours later.
The head of the civilian agency responsible for investigating when someone is seriously injured or killed in an interaction with police in B.C. says the province hasn’t provided the resources for his team to do its job effectively.
Saskatchewan is reacting to the removal of controversial amendment G4 to Bill C-21 by the federal Liberals, which banned certain semi-automatic rifles and shotguns.
Residents in Regina's North Central community are voicing safety concerns after a water main break resulted in icy sidewalk and road conditions.
A local non-profit is hoping a new office space can help reconnect Indigenous youth to their culture.
An emergency room doctor on Vancouver Island is calling on the leadership of the health authority to resign, saying harassment by Island Health officials is prompting doctors to abandon the region amid a critical shortage of health-care workers.
A local state of emergency that was issued in Campbell River, B.C., following a landslide in mid-January has been lifted, the city announced Friday.
A man accused of fatally stabbing another man outside a busy mall in Nanaimo, B.C., has been charged with second-degree murder, according to the Nanaimo RCMP.