New Brunswick reports 13 new cases on Friday; 12 in Campbellton region
HALIFAX -- New Brunswick is reporting 13 new cases of COVID-19 Friday, increasing the number of active cases in the province to 37.
According to the province's COVID-19 dashboard, 12 of the new cases have been identified in the Campbellton region (Zone 5), and one has been identified in the Moncton region (Zone 1).
“COVID-19 is again making its presence known and felt within our province in a way that impacts us all,” said Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health. “If the rest of the province wants to stay in the Yellow level and get the two Orange zones back to Yellow quickly, everyone needs to follow all public health measures including practising physical distancing, limiting your social gatherings, washing your hands, staying home if even mildly sick and getting tested.”
Friday's new cases involve:
- an individual between the ages of 20-29 in the Campbellton region (Zone 5).
- an individual between the ages of 30-39 in the Campbellton region (Zone 5).
- four individuals between the ages of 40-49 in the Campbellton region (Zone 5).
- an individual between the ages of 50-59 in the Campbellton region (Zone 5).
- four individuals between the ages of 60-69 in the Campbellton region (Zone 5).
- an individual between the ages of 70-79 in the Campbellton region (Zone 5).
- an individual between the ages of 40-49 in the Moncton region (Zone 1).
On Friday, Russell announced that there are currently 150 people self-isolating at home in relation to the outbreak at Manoir Notre-Dame, the Moncton special care home which saw an outbreak of COVID-19 cases earlier this week.
CHANGE TO ORANGE LEVEL
As of Friday at midnight, both the Moncton region (Zone 1) and Campbellton region (Zone 5) have transitioned back to the Orange level under the province’s COVID-19 recovery plan.
“It is not an easy choice to move any area of this province to Orange, but we must all use the tools available for us to slow down the spread of this virus. If everyone follows the rules in place, they will protect us, and I am confident we will be able to keep these cases contained and be able to flatten the curve again,” said N.B. premier Blaine Higgs at Friday’s news update.
The change to Orange means residents in those zones must stay in a two household bubble, but unlike the previous version of the Orange level, they can now extend to include caregivers or immediate family members.
Personal service businesses such as barbers, hair stylists and spas must close. Gymnasiums and health centres will also have to close immediately, as will casinos, bingo halls, cinemas, theatres and arcades.
Restaurants, bars and retail stores may continue to operate under their previously approved COVID-19 operational plan.
Outdoor gatherings must be limited to 10 people with physical distancing.
Indoor religious services, weddings and funerals are permitted with 10 people or fewer.
"We are discouraging travel in and out of the two impacted zones except for essential reasons. If you live in a different zone and are passing through, please don’t stop at this time,” added Higgs.
OUTBREAK IN CAMPBELLTON REGION
A total of 13 new cases have been identified in the Campbellton region since Thursday.
One of the three new cases identified in New Brunswick on Thursday involved an individual between the ages of 30 and 39 years old in the Campbellton area, and is under investigation.
Campbellton's Sugarloaf Senior High School is closed Friday for cleaning due to a positive COVID-19 case connected to the school.
The school will be closed on Friday, October 9 for cleaning. Contact tracing is underway.
On Friday, New Brunswick’s Vitalité Health Network confirmed that 18 of its employees from the Campbellton region (Zone 5) are in isolation and visits to the Campbellton Regional Hospital are cancelled, as the province continues to deal with a COVID-19 outbreak.
POTENTIAL EXPOSURE AT MONCTON MCDONALD'S
During Friday's news update, Dr. Jennifer Russell warned the public about potential exposure to a confirmed case of COVID-19 at a Moncton McDonald's.
The public may have been exposed to a positive COVID-19 case at the Morton Ave. McDonald's dining room on the days of September 28 to October 5 inclusive, between 8 a.m. and noon.
Anyone who visited the McDonald's dining room during that time should self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days. Should symptoms develop, they are directed to self-isolate and to call 811.
COVID-19 CASES IN NEW BRUNSWICK
New Brunswick now has had 238 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Of those, 199 are recovered and two people have died.
There are currently three people in hospital, with no people currently in intensive care.
The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases are broken down by New Brunswick’s seven health zones:
- Zone 1 – Moncton region: 68 confirmed cases (21 active case)
- Zone 2 – Saint John region: 31 confirmed cases (2 active cases)
- Zone 3 – Fredericton region: 59 confirmed cases (1 active case)
- Zone 4 – Edmundston region: 8 confirmed cases
- Zone 5 – Campbellton region: 66 confirmed cases (13 active case)
- Zone 6 – Bathurst region: 3 confirmed cases
- Zone 7 – Miramichi region: 3 confirmed cases
The province recently announced that residents can take an online self-assessment if they are experiencing mild to moderate COVID-19 symptoms.
To date, a total of 83,173 tests have been conducted in the province.
VEHICLE TRAFFIC INFORMATION
New Brunswick's online dashboard also includes information about vehicle traffic attempting to enter the New Brunswick border.
On Thursday, 2,988 personal and 1,557 commercial vehicles attempted to cross the border into the province.
Of the vehicles attempting to cross the border, 31 were refused entry, for a refusal rate of 0.7 per cent.