New Brunswick reports one new case of COVID-19; potential exposure at Moncton gym
HALIFAX -- New Brunswick is reporting one new case of COVID-19 on Friday. Three previously identified cases are now considered recovered, bringing the active number of cases in the province to 39.
The new case is an individual 40 to 49 in Zone 3 (Fredericton region), related to international travel and who is self-isolating.
The number of confirmed cases in New Brunswick is 342 and 297 cases are considered recovered. There have been six deaths in the province.
Four patients are hospitalized, with none in an intensive care unit.
As of Friday, 101,575 COVID-19 tests had been conducted in the province.
Over the weekend, more than 2,400 asymptomatic people in Zone 5 were tested and the results will be ready soon.
Results from the remaining 500 COVID tests from last weekend's mass testing clinics are back and they are all negative.
The number of cases are broken down by New Brunswick’s seven health zones:
- Zone 1 – Moncton region: 94 confirmed cases (4 active cases)
- Zone 2 – Saint John region: 32 confirmed cases
- Zone 3 – Fredericton region: 66 confirmed cases (6 active cases)
- Zone 4 – Edmundston region: 8 confirmed cases
- Zone 5 – Campbellton region: 136 confirmed cases (29 active cases)
- Zone 6 – Bathurst region: 3 confirmed cases
- Zone 7 – Miramichi region: 3 confirmed cases
POTENTIAL EXPOSURE AT MONCTON GYM
New Brunswick public health is warning the public of potential exposure to COVID-19 at the Fit 4 Less at 165 Main St. in Moncton.
People who visited this location between the hours of 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. from Friday, Oct. 23, to Sunday, Oct. 25, should self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days.
Gym member Mike Bourque was there during the time in question. He found out on social media about the potential exposure.
"I think they have a good system," Bourque said. "I’m sure we’re going to get notified by email because they know who was here and at what time."
Should any COVID-19 symptoms develop, they are directed to self-isolate and take the self-assessment online or call 811 to get tested.
OUTBREAK DECLARED IN BALMORAL N.B.
Public health has declared an outbreak at a seniors' residence in Balmoral, N.B., and is modifying the border rules for workers.
Dr. Jennifer Russell, the province's chief medical officer of health, revealed Thursday there has been a positive test at Residence 4 Saisons.
"There is one confirmed case in the facility, and so therefore we're declaring an outbreak and we're taking very aggressive steps at this moment to limit the impact of this outbreak," Russell said during a news update on Thursday. "So, the entire facility is being tested with respect to residents and staff. And I think most of them were being tested today with a rapid test."
In an attempt to limit outbreaks like this from happening, Russell is encouraging anyone working in a long term care home, nursing homes or adult care facilities to be tested every second week.
The case at the seniors' home was one of four new cases reported on Thursday. One new case was reported in the Moncton area and the others two were in the Campbellton region.
ZONE 5 REMAINS ORANGE
The Campbellton region (Zone 5) remains in the Orange level of recovery with an additional restriction to limit the spread of COVID-19 in the region.
The province recommends that residents limit their contact to a single household bubble plus a formal or informal caregiver or member of their immediate family (a parent, child, sibling or grandparent).
Residents in Zone 5 can celebrate Halloween only within their household bubble. Door-to-door collecting, passing out treats, and parties outside of their household bubbles are not permitted.
HALLOWEEN IN YELLOW LEVEL ZONES
Residents in regions at the Yellow level can celebrate Halloween with door-to-door trick-or-treating, provided the following guidelines from public health are followed:
if children go door-to-door, they should avoid contact with anyone in their bubble who is at higher risk for several days following Halloween;
informal indoor and outdoor celebrations are permitted with a maximum of 50 people, but a list of participants must be maintained
any business, organization or group that plans an event, including malls, are required to have an operational plan for any Halloween activities, must keep a list of participants, and must ensure the use of masks in public spaces and ensure that physical distancing is practised.
STATE OF EMERGENCY EXTENDED
New Brunswick's state of emergency mandatory order was renewed on Thursday, Oct. 29, under the authority of the Emergency Measures Act. The state of emergency was first declared on Mar. 14.
VEHICLE TRAFFIC INFORMATION
New Brunswick's online dashboard includes information about vehicle traffic attempting to enter the province.
On Thursday, 1,422 personal and 1,529 commercial vehicles attempted to cross the border into the province.
Of the vehicles attempting to cross the border, 34 were refused entry, for a refusal rate of 1.2 per cent.