Nova Scotia reports 70 new COVID-19 over past two days; more cases at Pugwash nursing home
Health officials in Nova Scotia are reporting 70 new COVID-19 cases and 69 recoveries since Wednesday, as the number of active cases remains at 277.
That includes new cases identified Wednesday and Thursday, as the province did not release numbers on Rememembrance Day.
- 44 new cases were identified in the province's Central zone.
- 12 new cases were identified in the province's Northern zone.
- Nine new cases were identified in the province's Western zone.
- Five new cases were identified in the province's Eastern zone.
"There is community spread in Northern and Western zones, primarily related to ongoing transmission from a faith-based gathering that occurred in late October," says the province in a release. "This includes secondary transmission to other faith-based gatherings, workplaces and to East Cumberland Lodge, a long-term care home in Pugwash."
Health officials say two more residents and two staff members at East Cumberland Lodge have tested positive for COVID-19. A total of 22 residents and four staff members at the home have now tested positive. Public Health says they are working with the facility to prevent further spread, and have implemented increased public health measures and restrictions.
CRACKDOWN IS COMING
With 21 of the cases in the northern and western zones, where health officials say community spread is occurring, enforcement is being stepped up.
On Nov. 5, the operators of the Woods Harbour Community Centre were given a fine of more than $11,600.
"We received a complaint from the community about events being held in contravention of public health restrictions," said Cpl. Chris Marshall of the Nova Scotia RCMP.
Marshall says officers visited the centre on Oct. 21 and Oct. 24, offering education on what COVID-19 protocols are in place.
"In speaking to them, that's when we learned that they had been advised by the community centre management that there was no need for them to follow health restrictions," Marshall said.
Wayne Malone is the community centre's president.
"Everyone knows that COVID protocols need to be followed," he said. "We have it listed on our door, we have our signage, everything is there."
He says the board will appeal the fine in court.
"We're all family oriented, we get birthday parties, baby showers. We're an adult learning center," Malone said. "I'm looking into getting a mental wellness centre going because it's huge or this past two years."
In a statement, Public Health says the fourth wave of COVID-19 is still washing over the province, and enforcement of protocols will continue.
Any compliance action takes into consideration the risk to public health and the willingness of the business or organization to comply with this protocol.
Malone says if the fine is upheld, the centre will close.
EXPOSURE NOTICE FOR SEVEN SCHOOLS
Health officials also sent exposure notices for seven schools in the province on Wednesday and Thursday.
The latest school exposures are at Hants East Rural High School in Milford, Millwood High School in Middle Sackville, Basinview Community School and Rocky Lake Junior High in Bedford, Cunard Junior High, and Burton Ettinger Elementary and Fairview Junior High in Halifax.
“It is important to note that an exposure associated with a school does not mean there is spread within the school or that the initial case was first exposed to the virus in the school. As always, all staff, parents and guardians are notified of exposures if a positive case (student, teacher or staff) was at the school while infectious,” said N.S. Health in a release.
A list of schools with exposures is available online.
COVID-19 CASE DATA
Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 3,451 on Wednesday and 2,552 tests on Thursday. A total of 1,347,985 COVID-19 tests have been processed since the start of the pandemic.
There were 28,019 rapid tests administered between November 5 and 11. This includes 2,114 rapid tests at the pop-up sites in Halifax, Dartmouth, Amherst and Annapolis Royal and 25,905 through the workplace screening program. Another 11,558 home rapid tests were distributed at the pop-up sites.
According to the province's online COVID-19 dashboard, there have been 7,815 cumulative COVID-19 cases in Nova Scotia. Of those, 7,306 people have recovered and 102 have died due to COVID-19.
Since Aug. 1, there have been 1,850 positive COVID-19 cases and eight deaths. Of the new cases since Aug. 1, 1,565 are now considered resolved.
There are cases confirmed across the province, but most have been identified in the Central zone, which contains the Halifax Regional Municipality.
The provincial government says cumulative cases by zone may change as data is updated in Panorama, the province’s electronic information system.
The numbers reflect where a person lives and not where their sample was collected.
- Western zone: 575 cases (88 active cases)
- Central zone: 5,838 cases (116 active cases)
- Northern zone: 684 cases (60 active cases)
- Eastern zone: 718 cases (13 active cases)
Public Health reports 'breakthrough cases' weekly. A breakthrough case involves a person becoming COVID-19 positive at least two weeks after receiving either one or two doses of COVID-19 vaccine.
According to the province there have been 101 cases of COVID-19 from Nov. 4 to Nov. 9. Of those:
- 45 (44.6 per cent) were fully vaccinated
- 9 (8.9 per cent) were partially vaccinated
- 47 (46.5 per cent) were unvaccinated
There have been 6,067 cases from March 15 to Nov. 9. Of those:
- 489 (8.1 per cent) were fully vaccinated
- 391 (6.4 per cent) were partially vaccinated
- 5,187 (85.5 per cent) were unvaccinated
There were 314 people hospitalized. Of those:
- 17 (5.4 per cent) were fully vaccinated
- 32 (10.2 per cent) were partially vaccinated
- 265 (84.4 per cent) were unvaccinated
Thirty-six people died. Of those:
- 5 (13.9 per cent) were fully vaccinated
- 3 (8.3 per cent) were partially vaccinated
- 28 (77.8 per cent) were unvaccinated
The province's COVID-19 online dashboard provides an update on the number of vaccines that have been administered to date.
As of Friday, 1,593,242 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 772,138 Nova Scotians have received their second dose, and 6,642 eligible Nova Scotians have received a third dose.
In total, 83.4 per cent of the province's overall population has received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine, while 78.9 per cent of Nova Scotians have received their second dose.
The province says it has received a total of 1,661,340 doses of COVID-19 vaccine since Dec. 15, 2020.
All Nova Scotians are encouraged to get vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as they are eligible. COVID-19 vaccination appointments can be made online or by phone at 1-833-797-7772.
LIST OF SYMPTOMS
Anyone who experiences a fever or new or worsening cough, or two or more of the following new or worsening symptoms, is encouraged to take an online test or call 811 to determine if they need to be tested for COVID-19:
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Runny nose/nasal congestion
The Shopping Trends team is independent of the journalists at CTV News. We may earn a commission when you use our links to shop. Read about us.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Two Chinese community centres in the Montreal area are planning to launch a $2.5 million defamation lawsuit against the RCMP and the Attorney General of Canada after being accused by the police force of hosting 'alleged Chinese police stations.'
Ibrahim Ali's lawyer says the 13-year-old girl he's accused of murdering in a British Columbia park wasn't the “innocent” depicted in a “rose-coloured” portrayal by the Crown at trial.
It has been five days since Palestinian-Canadian couple, Khalil and Nabila Manna, returned from visiting relatives in Gaza, but while the couple planned to visit for a short-period of time, the Israel-Hamas conflict left them stranded for 40 days
With Canada set to reimpose cap on working hours, international students worry about paying for tuition, living expenses
Canada is set to reimpose the cap on the number of hours that international students can work off campus. But with heightened cost-of-living concerns in Canada, many international students say they're not sure how they'll be able to afford their tuition and living expenses if they can't work full-time.
A federal inmate was charged Friday with attempted murder in the prison stabbing of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering George Floyd.
Winter will be unusually warm and rainy across much of the country this year, according to the latest data from Environment and Climate Change Canada.
Air Canada is hoping to give its customers more confidence when travelling with checked luggage through a new baggage tracking feature.
Alleged victims speak out after a Waterloo, Ont. man posed as a CSIS agent and scammed women out of millions
Several women have come forward claiming they were victims of a romance scam by a Waterloo, Ont. man. Police believe he allegedly defrauded dozens of women out of more than $2 million over 15 years.
A man is dead after he fell approximately two stories while working on an East York home on Friday morning, police say.
Toronto residents raise concerns over empty section of Yonge Street, awaiting demolition since spring
A block of storefronts along a major Toronto road has been sitting empty, covered in black paint and awaiting demolition, since the spring.
Calgary police say a man killed in a drive-by shooting in the Beltline on Thursday night appears to be from out of town.
Michigan officials approved a $500 million plan Friday to encase in a protective tunnel a portion of an aging oil pipeline that runs beneath a channel connecting two Great Lakes, leaving just one more regulatory hurdle for the contentious project.
CTV News received some good news from students at the career college of Academy of Learning.
Traffic on the Île-aux-Tourtes bridge will be reduced to one lane in each direction "for several weeks" as of Friday night, Quebec's transport ministry has confirmed. The eastbound portion of the bridge will be completely closed for about an hour starting at 11 p.m. Friday to redirect the lanes.
FAE's indefinite strike will continue. Union heads say they've submitted a counter-offer to Quebec as the widespread education walkout stretched into its seventh day.
'Last-minute' amendment to Quebec health bill would allow agency to revoke hospital's bilingual status
A new amendment to Quebec's mammoth health-care bill would allow the new Sante Quebec agency to revoke a health-care institution's bilingual status — a move English-rights activists say is shocking.
An elected official for the Town of Devon should be kicked out of her council seat, the town's mayor said Friday, the day after she was sentenced to 120 days in jail.
A cyclist is dead after a crash in west Edmonton on Friday.
Jennifer Rice, the Edmonton city councillor for Ward Ipiihkoohkanipiaohtsi, is disputing reports that she bullied staff and created a toxic work environment, but is still refusing to take questions about what happened.
While he’s a big supporter of what the city has planned for downtown, the owner of Wacky Wings on Shaughnessy Street says he and his staff are “heartbroken” they are being forced out of their location.
DEVELOPING Heavy police presence in New Liskeard
Few details are available, but there is a heavy police presence Friday morning near Highway 11 and Bedard Drive in New Liskeard.
Provincial police are investigating the death of a resident at a long-term care facility in Orillia.
Four years ago, the temporarily closed sign went up outside the Clinton Hospital’s emergency room.
Both the Crown and the defence have wrapped up their respective cases at the second degree murder trial of Robert Charnock in London.
Medical supply manufacturer Medicom announced it will build a $165 million plant in London to produce medical grade nitrile gloves — the first plant of its kind in Canada.
A suspect has been charged with four counts of second-degree murder in connection with the Langside homicide.
The Manitoba government is broadening its plan for a fuel tax holiday after receiving criticism from farm groups, snowmobilers and the Opposition Progressive Conservatives.
A new set of traffic lights are now operational on Highway 59 which runs through Brokenhead Ojibway Nation. The improvement comes months after a tragedy witnessed by several residents.
Residents of a Gatineau, Que. neighbourhood have been dealing with a string of strangers knocking at the doors of their homes looking to pick up their purchased products from Facebook Marketplace, but instead discovering they had been scammed.
A man was transported to hospital and three people were treated at the scene after a collision involving an OC Transpo bus resulted in the bus driving off the road and onto the sidewalk and grass.
A 38-year-old Ottawa man was arrested for allegedly extorting a 17-year-old girl from the United States for child pornography.
Saskatoon property taxes are going up 6.04 per cent next year, after an unprecedented length of budget discussions.
Kids in Saskatoon are one step closer to riding city buses for free.
Sole survivor of Sea to Sky Highway crash on how faith, community are helping her unimaginable grief
Iris Paguia-Portillo was in the front passenger seat, and her brother James and two-year-old daughter Natalia in the back seat on their late night drive home from a church gathering on Nov. 26. Just 20 minutes from their Whistler home, she heard her husband Josefat Portillo scream as their car hit black ice and struck a tree.
The City of Coquitlam has ordered the developer behind a construction project on Foster Avenue that suffered a catastrophic, caught-on-camera collapse Wednesday to hire a third-party geotechnical engineer as it works to remediate the site.
Frustration is growing over a major traffic bottleneck on Highway 1 through Langley.
Former Saskatchewan junior hockey coach Bernard (Bernie) Lynch was found guilty by a Regina Court of King’s Bench judge on Friday of sexual assault and assault stemming from incidents that took place in August of 1988.
On Thursday the Saskatchewan Roughriders confirmed they had selected former Toronto Argonauts defensive coordinator Corey Mace, as the team’s 48th head coach and on Friday he addressed the media and Rider Nation for the first time since taking on the new role.
The province gave the IIO a $2 million budget lift for this fiscal year to fund 13 new positions, including seven in investigations.
To appreciate why Lynndon Franz wears a Santa hat in his workshop, we need to go back to that day he got a nail stuck in his eye.
Environment and Climate Change Canada has issued a special weather statement warning of extremely high tides on British Columbia's South Coast this weekend.