P.E.I. reports 5 new COVID-19 cases involving foreign essential workers
CHARLOTTETOWN -- The five new COVID-19 cases reported by Prince Edward Island Wednesday involve foreign essential workers who arrived in the province July 30, according to chief public health officer Dr. Heather Morrison.
All five men have been self-isolating since their arrival and are believed to have had limited contact with others, Morrison told a news conference.
The men, two in their 30s and three in their 40s, work in the same industry and arrived from a country other than the United States. Morrison would not say what field they work in but said it is not health care.
"The detection of these five cases shows that our systems are working well," she said. "These individuals have been in self-isolation since arriving in P.E.I. They were diagnosed in routine testing and they have had very few, if any, contacts."
Morrison added the five cases are not related to the Canadian Premier League, which is playing its shortened soccer season in Charlottetown, nor to seasonal residents in the province.
P.E.I. has had a total of 41 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus and no COVID-19 deaths. All 36 previously reported cases on the Island have recovered without need for hospitalization.
She said all 41 cases have been travel-related, adding there is no indication of community transmission of the virus in the province.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 12, 2020.