Publication ban lifted in MacIntosh sexual abuse case
HALIFAX - A man who accused a Cape Breton businessman of sexually abusing him when he was a young boy has had a publication ban on his name lifted.
A spokeswoman for the Public Prosecution Service said Weldon MacIntosh-Reynolds applied for the motion in Nova Scotia Supreme Court on Wednesday.
Chris Hansen said the Crown did not oppose the application and the judge granted it.
The 56-year-old man was one of three complainants who accused Ernest Fenwick MacIntosh of abusing them in the 1970s.
Earlier this month the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal overturned all the convictions against MacIntosh, ruling he was not brought to trial in a reasonable time.
MacIntosh was found guilty in July 2010 on 13 of 26 charges of indecent assault and gross indecency almost 15 years after the allegations surfaced.
He was sentenced to four years in prison in his first trial and later sentenced to 18 months in jail on separate sex-related charges involving other boys in the 1970s.
Blair Mitchell, MacIntosh-Reynold's lawyer, said his client applied to have the ban lifted so he could speak openly about his case.
"He feels there's a sharp need for more public education in the field," Mitchell said.
Mitchell said MacIntosh-Reynolds plans to do public speaking engagements.
The publication ban remains in place on the identities of other complainants in the case.
MacIntosh was extradited from India in 2007 to face the charges that surfaced in 1995 and dated back decades.
The appeals court judges found that MacIntosh's "right to be tried within a reasonable time was infringed."
The justices also found that the trial judge failed to properly deal with questions of credibility of the complainants and misunderstood some of the evidence used to convict MacIntosh.
The Crown has not announced whether it will appeal the case to the Supreme Court of Canada.