Questions remain over New Brunswick government’s plan for seniors
The specifics of last week’s provincial budget in New Brunswick have yet to be released, and the Tories are looking for answers.
They want to know how much money the government will see in increased nursing home payments by seniors.
“Five hundred thousand, is it $5 million, is it $50 million, how much money are they expecting to take from seniors?” asks Bruce Fifth, interim New Brunswick PC leader.
Social Development Minister Cathy Rogers declined to speak with reporters following Wednesday’s sitting of the legislature. On her behalf, Finance Minister Roger Melanson said the numbers would be released when her department tables it’s estimates.
"We have said that this policy would only be implemented in the fall so we can allow to have a meaningful conversation with senior stakeholders and have a constructive conversation where we can find solutions in this policy,” says Melanson.
Barb Vessey, a longtime Liberal supporter, hasn’t liked what she’s seen from the Gallant government. She says increased nursing home and drug costs would be an attack on seniors.
"I actually lied to the people that I called,” says Vessey, “because I told them that Cathy would protect seniors and work hard for them. I see no evidence of that so far."
Rogers is scheduled to deliver her estimates in two weeks.
With files from CTV Atlantic's Andy Campbell