An 18-year-old is facing charges after another man was stabbed to death in Halifax last night.

Officers responded to a report of a stabbing in the area of Alma Crescent in Fairview just before 11:30 p.m. Thursday.

A witness, who asked not to be identified, spoke with CTV News today.

"I got home - I don't live very far from here - and I heard a guy yelling ‘help me, somebody help me,' so he was screaming and then I saw a lot of these cars backing up to this spot."

When police arrived on the scene they found a 25-year-old man on the corner of Ashdale Avenue and Titus Street, suffering from a stab wound.

Marc Bernard Tremblay of Halifax was pronounced dead shortly after paramedics arrived on the scene and a close friend is left wondering how it could have happened.

"It's such a shame to lose a guy like that," said Aaron Wilson. "It's so, so sad."

Wilson says he is devastated by the loss of his friend who he says always put others before himself.

"(He was) like, the friendliest guy," says Wilson. "That's why I don't understand why someone would do something like that…why would you take his life like that?"

Wilson says Tremblay's death is particularly heart-wrenching because he has a child on the way.

"It's hard to not bring tears to my eyes, you know what I mean? That was a good guy."

Officers checked the surrounding areas with the assistance of a K9 unit but they were unable to locate the suspect right away.

However, police arrested a man and a woman around 2 a.m. Friday.

"After the officers conducted part of their investigation, their investigation led them to an arrest at an Evans Avenue address," confirmed Const. Kathryn Willett.

They also found a knife at the scene they believed was used in the murder.

Police believe an altercation may have taken place between Tremblay and his attacker but they don't believe they knew one another.

"We can't speak to what type of altercation occurred but we can confirm the act, at this time, does appear to be random," said Willett.

The witness told CTV News he saw a couple arguing in the area roughly 10 minutes before he heard the victim calling for help.

"There was a guy and a girl and they were fighting over something, which seemed like she kept trying to hold him back from going somewhere," he said.

Police say Aidan David Cromwell of Halifax has been charged with second-degree murder and two counts of breach of recognizance.

He will remain in police custody over the weekend and is due to appear in Halifax provincial court on Monday to answer to the charges.

Police say the woman was released early Friday afternoon without charges.

Several areas are cordoned off today, including Alma Crescent and sidewalks on Titus Street, while investigators scour the scene.

Titus Street is open to vehicular traffic, however.

This is the city's first homicide of the year, after a record year of killings in 2011.

With files from CTV Atlantic's Garreth MacDonald