Storm Watch: Closures and cancellations for Wednesday, Sept. 23
Published Tuesday, September 22, 2020 12:15PM ADT Last Updated Wednesday, September 23, 2020 2:07PM ADT
HALIFAX -- Here is a developing list of closures and cancellations for Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2020:
- All Halifax Regional Centre for Education schools will be closed Wednesday due to the potential impacts of post-tropical storm Teddy
- All schools in the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional Centre for Education are closed today.
- Chignecto Central Regional Centre for Education is closing schools in Pictou County and East Hants on Wednesday, as well as Advocate District School. Schools in the counties of Colchester, and Cumberland counties are open as usual.
- All Strait Regional Centre for Education schools will be closed on Wednesday.
- The following Annapolis Valley Regional Centre for Education schools are closed Wednesday: LE Shaw Elementary, Somerset & District Elementary, Avon View High School, Falmouth District School, West Hants Education Centre and Windsor Adult High School.
- Islands Consolidated School in the Tri-County Regional Centre for Education is closed Wednesday.
The following Conseil Scolaire Acadien Provincial schools are cancelled Wednesday: École Bois-Joli, École du Carrefour, École Mer et Monde, École secondaire Mosaïque, École du Grand-Portage, École Beaubassin, École secondaire du Sommet, École acadienne de Pomquet, École acadienne de Truro, École des Beaux-Marais.
Classes are canceled for the following schools: École NDA, Centre scolaire Étoile de l'Acadie, École Beau-Port.
- Halifax Christian Academy's Armdale Campus & Timberlea Elementary will not have classes Wednesday. The Halifax Christian Academy ECEC is open.
- All Nova Scotia Community College Metro Campuses (Ivany, Aviation, IT and Akerley), and Sydney's Marconi Campus are closed Wednesday due to weather conditions. Remote learning and college services will continue.
Halifax Transit bus and Access-A-Bus service was suspended as of 7 p.m. Tuesday, and resumed at noon on Wednesday.
- The Halifax Regional Municipality is advising residents that curbside collection of garbage, organics, and recyclables is cancelled for Wednesday, Sept. 23 and is rescheduled for Saturday, Sept. 26. The household special waste depot for Saturday, Sept. 26 is cancelled, and is expected to resume on the following Saturday, Oct. 3. For further schedule details visit www.halifax.ca/HSWDepot.
- Passengers flying out of Halifax Stanfield International Airport are asked to confirm flight statuses with airlines before going to the airport.
- The following provincial park campgrounds are closed: Battery, Graves Island, Mira River, Porters Lake, Rissers Beach and Whycocomagh. Provincial beaches on the Atlantic coast are also closed. Full refunds will be given for campsite reservations affected by the closure. For a full list of park closures visit: https://parks.novascotia.ca/
- The Canso Causeway was closed to high-sided vehicles on Wednesday morning but has since reopened.
- The Tancook Island and Lahave ferries are out of service due to weather. Grand Passage ferry is back in service.
- The following Nova Scotia museum's are closed on Wednesday: Barrington Woolen Mill Museum, Old Meeting House Museum, Fisheries Museum of Atlantic, Wile Carding Mill, Black Loyalist Heritage Centre, Ross Farm Museum and Sherbrooke Village. The Fundy Geological Museum delayed opening until noon.
- The emergency department at Musquodoboit Valley Memorial Hospital will be closed on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Marine Atlantic is advising customers that the following departures have been cancelled:
North Sydney to Port aux Basque:
Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 11:45
Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 23:15
Port aux Basques to North Sydney:
Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 11:45
Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 23:45
Prince Edward Island
- All public schools in Prince Edward Island are closed Wednesday.