Two charged in alleged confinement, sexual assault of teen girl
Two young men have been charged with numerous offences after a teenage girl was allegedly held against her will and sexually assaulted in the basement of a North Preston, N.S. home.
Police responded to a report of gunshots fired at a home on Clarence Street at 8:48 p.m. Thursday.
A woman who lives in the area told CTV News she didn’t hear gunshots, but she did hear a young woman calling for help around 9 p.m.
Investigators allege a girl had escaped from another home on the street after being held in a basement and sexually assaulted for two days.
“When officers arrived it was revealed to us that a 15-year-old girl had been sexually assaulted after being held against her will in a basement of a house just right next door basically to where we were responding to the shots fired,” said Halifax RCMP Cpl. Scott MacRae.
Officers arrested an 18-year-old male near the home Thursday night and arrested a second 18-year-old male in connection with the alleged incident at Windsor provincial court Friday morning.
The pair is facing charges of trafficking in persons, sexual assault, sexual interference and unlawful confinement.
In addition to the charges, one of the men is also charged with uttering threats, procuring, use of weapon during assault, possession of a weapon dangerous to the public and breach of probation.
Both are being held in custody and are scheduled to appear in Dartmouth Provincial Court on Monday.
Investigators won’t say if the victim knew the men involved in her alleged confinement but say she is getting the help she needs.
“What I want to do right now is reassure the public that the 15-year-old girl is safe,” said MacRae.
“We aren’t going to release too many details about what happened to her to prevent further victimization.”
People who live in the area said they were shocked to hear about the alleged incident.
“I didn’t even know anything like this was going on until we just drove past,” said one resident.
“First time, first I’ve ever heard of anything like this,” said another.
The alleged incident remains under investigation.
With files from CTV Atlantic's Alyse Hand