'We have to heal': Teen sentenced in deadly Cape Breton crash
Grief and compassion filled the courthouse in Port Hood, N.S. on Thursday, where an 18-year-old man was sentenced for his role in a crash that killed three of his friends.
The teen, who cannot be identified because he was 16 at the time, received four months of jail time, two months of house arrest and 15 months of probation.
He had been charged with three counts each of dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing bodily harm in relation to the July 2013 crash.
“It's just a sad day, on both sides. Both families. Neither really won,” said Mary Anne MacIntyre, whose two sons were killed in the crash.
The court heard the driver was impaired by drugs and alcohol, driving 50 kilometres above the speed limit with only a graduated licence when the crash occurred.
Logan MacIntyre, 17, his brother Morgan MacIntyre,19, Joel Chandler, 20, were killed.
Three other passengers were also crammed into the car, one of whom was left paralyzed from the waist down.
MacIntyre said she hopes the sentence will allow the convicted teen to get help.
“It's not going to bring the boys back but, you know, I'm hoping that he'll learn something,” she said.
Carrying a picture of her son Joel taken by the teen who caused his death, Beulah Chandler called for compassion after the sentencing.
“My son loved him, and for that we have to honour him,” she said.
“We honour my son's memory, and as a Christian, we choose to forgive.”
The court heard the teen would welcome the chance to speak with the families, but they turned down his request.
“For now, no. We have to heal and we have to move on. Down the road, maybe we’ll change our minds,” MacIntyre said.
Judge Laurie Halfpenny MacQuarrie did give the man an opportunity to address the courtroom.
“I’m sorry for what has happened. I’m sorry,” was all he said.
With files from CTV Atlantic’s Dan MacIntosh