East Coast Fish Po’ boy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- ¼ cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cornmeal (fine grind)
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Cajun seasoning
- 6 haddock fillets (about 6 oz/175 g each)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) canola oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) finely chopped fresh dill
- 6 slices white bread (we used Ben’s® Holsum White Bread)
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, sliced and cut into half-moons
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup (175 mL) bread and butter pickles, drained well
- ¾ cup (175 mL) crumbled potato chips
- In a shallow dish, stir together flour, cornmeal, and Cajun seasoning.
- Pat haddock dry with paper towel, dredge in flour mixture.
- Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat.
- Cook haddock in two batches for three to five minutes per side, or until golden brown and fish starts to flake when tested.
- Mix together mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon and dill and spread over each slice of bread.
- Top with haddock, lettuce, tomato, red onion slices, pickles, and potato chips.
- Fold bread together to eat.
Tip: Regular potato chips or salt and vinegar potato chips work well in this recipe.
Ben’s® products are available at grocers across Atlantic Canada, as well as most convenience stores.