CTV News at 5 is helping you prepare for mealtime with some delicious dishes!
Every week we will share a recipe designed by the Sobeys team that you can try in your own kitchen. The recipes are easy to make with step-by-step instructions.
Check here every week for the latest recipe and visit Sobeys.com for the latest flyers to help you gather all the ingredients you will need.
White Chocolate and Blueberry Perogies with whipped cream
Serves : 20-25 pierogies
2 C flour
1 C sour cream
½ C icing sugar
1 C blueberries
1 C white chocolate chips
¼ C pistachios, crushed
¼ C butter
Whipped cream and honey to serve
- Mix together flour, sour cream and icing sugar to form a dough. Add in flour as needed. You should end up with a slightly tacky smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface until it’s about 3mm thick.
- Using a 3 inch round cookie cutter, punch out as many circles as you can. Press the scraps back together and roll and cut again.
- To fill, place a circle of dough in your hand and fill with a few chocolate chips, a couple of blueberries and a sprinkling of pistachios. Lightly wet the edges with a touch of water, and fold over, pressing the sides to seal.
- To cook, bring a large pot of water to a boil and drop in the pierogies. They’re cooked when the float to the top, so take them out and place them on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter starts to foam, add in your cooked pierogies, working in batches if necessary. Cook, turning occasionally, until your preferred level of crispy is achieved.
- To serve, drizzle with honey and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Why not try dark chocolate and chopped strawberries? Or cream cheese, cinnamon and pear?
- These pierogies can be frozen before being cooked. Just freeze them on a baking sheet for 24hrs, then move them to a ziplock bag.
- Omit the sugar in the dough for a more savory pierogi. Use mashed potato, caramelized onion and aged cheddar for a more traditional take on a classic.
Seafood Chowder w/ Cheddar Biscuits
3 bacon slices, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 lb mini Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
5 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 ½ L chicken stock
1 can of clams
1-2 C whipping cream
2 lbs Sobeys seafood chowder mix
2 tarragon sprigs, chopped
1 lemon, juiced and zested
Salt and pepper to taste
- In large pot cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Add onion and celery and continue cooking until onions are translucent.
- Add paprika and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour into pot, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add clams and juice to pot and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stock and bring to boil. Simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add cream and cook until beginning to thicken.
- Add seafood mix and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Finish with salt, pepper, lemon juice and zest, and fresh tarragon
2 C flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp Kosher salt
1 C buttermilk
½ C butter, melted
225g cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and spices.
- Combine the melted butter and buttermilk, and pour this mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Stir to combine, and mix in the cheese.
- Drop by the tablespoon onto a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving an inch or so between each biscuit. Brush lightly with buttermilk, and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
Cauliflower Buffalo “Wings” w/ Blue Cheese Dip
1 cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
¾ C flour
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp Kosher salt
½ C milk
½ C water
½ -1 C Buffalo Sauce
- Whisk together flour, paprika, garlic, onion and salt.
- Whisk in the milk and water and stir until smooth.
- Toss in the cauliflower and make sure to coat each piece evenly. Shake to remove excess batter.
- Place battered cauliflower on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 425F for 25 minutes.
- Toss crispy cauliflower in your desired amount of sauce and return to the oven to cook for another 20-25 minutes, until browned and crisp.
- Serve with your favourite ranch dipping sauce.
Blue Cheese Dip
½ C sour cream
1 clove garlic, grated on microplane
½ C blue cheese
½ C Sensations roast garlic aioli
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Combine everything in a small bowl and mix well.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Chicken Satay w/ Cucumber Slaw (serve with rice noodles)
½ onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2’’ ginger, peeled and chopped
1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed and chopped
1 Tbsp ground corriander
3 limes, juiced and zested
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 can coconut milk
4-6 Tbsp peanut butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
12 chicken thighs, boneless skinless
3 Tbsp canola oil
- Combine onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, coriander and zest from one lime. Pulse in a food processor until a fine paste forms.
- In a medium pot, heat 1 Tbsp of oil to medium heat. Add 3-4 Tbsp of your ginger lemongrass paste (the rest can be kept refrigerated or frozen) and cook until just beginning to colour, about 3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Cook at a simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes
- Whisk in 4 Tbsp of peanut butter and the brown sugar and taste. Add more peanut butter or sugar as desired.
- Simmer another 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Whisk together remaining lime juice and zest, oil and cilantro.
- Coat chicken in lime cilantro oil and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cook chicken in a 400F oven until fully cooked.
- Toss cooked chicken in peanut sauce and serve.
1 C cucumber, cut into matchsticks
¼ C red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
1 Tbsp fresh ginger
1 tsp roasted garlic paste
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp rice winegar, unseasoned
- Combine cucumber, bell pepper, ginger, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce and rice vinegar. Let marinate at least a half hour. Drain liquid before serving.
Jamaican Jerk Salmon with Herb and Lemon Couscous and Chickpeas
4 portions salmon fillets skinless or skin on
4 Tbsp Hills Jamaican Jerk Seasoning (hot)
1 Tbsp lime juice and zest
1 Tbsp lemon juice and zest
1 tsp Scotch Bonnet Sauce (optional for extra heat)
Mix the jerk paste with citrus juices and zests. Coat salmon with paste and allow marinating for 20 minutes.
On a medium hot grill pan cook the fish Skin side down for 7 minutes then flip over for another 5 minutes. Cook until the salmon is opaque and flakes easily.
This can also be cooked on the BBQ or on a maple plank, weather permitting .
2 C Compliments couscous cooked
1 C Compliments chickpeas, canned, rinsed
1 ½ C Compliments baby kale, chopped
½ C parsley, chopped
½ C cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 C green onion, chopped
½ C feta cheese, crumbled
¼ C pumpkin seeds, toasted
¼ C olive oil
3 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp tahini
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp pepper
- Cook Couscous according to package directions.
- In a large bowl combine the couscous, chickpeas, kale, parsley, tomatoes, green onion, feta cheese and pumpkin seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and zest, tahini, garlic and pepper. Pour dressing over couscous mixture, toss to coat, and allow to sit at room temperature while salmon cooks.
Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding
2 ½ lb inside round beef roast
2 red onions, cut into 1” wedges
1 lb new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1” chunks
5 garlic cloves, peeled (3 left whole and 2 cut into slivers)
3 thyme sprigs
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tub sundried tomato pesto
1 C beef stock
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place onions, potatoes, fresh thyme and whole garlic cloves on a large rimmed baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Pour beef stock in.
- Using a paring knife, make 12 small slits in top and sides of roast; push in garlic slivers.
- Move vegetables to sides of sheet. Place beef in center, season with salt and pepper and rub with the pesto.
- Roast 40 to 50 minutes, tossing vegetables occasionally, until tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of beef registers 145F for medium-rare.
- Let the roast rest for at least 10 minutes, loosely tented with aluminum foil to keep warm. Cut half into very thin slices (reserve remaining half for leftovers). Serve with vegetables.
1 ½ C whole milk
1 ½ C all purpose flour
4 Tbsp canola oil
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F. Use convection for best results.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, flour and a pinch of salt until you have a smooth, lump-free batter.
- Equally distribute the oil into the muffin tins and place the muffin pan into the oven. Once the oil begins to smoke, carefully remove the pan from the oven and pour in the batter, fill each cup about ¾ full. Place the pan back into the oven and cook until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Do not open the oven door during cooking, as this will cause your puddings to collapse.
Chicken Thighs with Mushroom Stuffing
6 chicken thighs, boneless or skinless/boneless
1 demi-baguette, diced and toasted
2 Tbsp butter
1 pkg saute mix Mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 C mushroom stock
2 Tbsp thyme, chopped
2 Tbsp sage, chopped
- Sautee mushrooms and onion in butter over medium heat until golden.
- Add stock and cook until almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Toss the mushroom mixture with the toasted bread and the herbs, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Stuff each chicken thigh with a tablespoon or two of stuffing, using twine to secure.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and lemon zest, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast at 425F for 25 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 165F is reached.
Tip: The stuffing can be made a day ahead.
Use this stuffing for whole turkey or chicken, or even as a stuffing for a pork tenderloin.
ROASTED MAPLE CINNAMON SWEET POTATOES
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and large diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 ½ Tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, maple syrup and cinnamon with salt and pepper. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes until brown and crispy, serve with sliced pork.
Chicken bacon & Cheese Turnovers
1 pkg puff pastry, thawed
2 C cooked deli chicken, chopped
1 C chopped cooked bacon
1 C parmesan cheese, grated
½ C Sensations Pizza Cheese mix
2 Tbsp chives, sliced
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 Tbsp melted butter
Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the chicken, bacon, cheese, chives, oil and balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roll out each sheet of pastry to 1 ½ times it’s original size.
- Cut each sheet of pastry into 8 squares.
- Top each square of pastry with a tablespoon or two of filling. Wet the outside edges of the dough and fold in half diagonally, forming a triangle. Press the edges together firmly to seal, and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Brush each turnover with a bit of melted butter, and bake at 375F until golden brown.
Italian Trio Pinwheels
1 package Sensations Italian meat trio
1 Tub Compliments sundried tomato pesto
1 ½ cup smoked mozzarella
1 package Compliments fresh pizza dough
- Roll out pizza dough on to a flour dusted baking sheet.
- Spread pesto evenly over the dough. Layer on the meats over the pesto and then top with cheese.
- Roll dough along one edge into a cylinder as tightly as possible. Cut into ½ slices and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Pre heat oven to 380 F and cook until risen and golden brown. About 35 minutes.
- Serve with Marinara sauce .
Turkey Tacos bowls with Homemade Guacamole
1 lbs shredded cooked turkey meat [white or dark leftovers]
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp adobo sauce (from a can of chipotles packed in adobo)
1 chipotle pepper chopped (from a can of chipotles packed in adobo)
2 garlic cloves
2 Tbsp ginger paste
½ C red onion, diced
3 oranges, large, juiced and zested
1 C Compliments Jalapeño lime mayo
2 C Compliments fresh salsa
1 lime, juiced
1 C smoked mozzarella, shredded
1 box Old el Passo taco boats
For garnish sliced cilantro and green onion.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add oil ,onions, ginger and garlic sauté until soft, now add the shredded turkey meat and cook. Stir in the adobo sauce, chipotle pepper and orange juice.
- Cover the pan tightly and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the pork is cooked (at least 165F internal temperature), and the sauce is thickened. Stir in the orange zest.
- To assemble, spread some Jalapeño lime mayo on the bottom of the bowl, top with cheese, the cooked turkey and some salsa , fresh cilantro and green onion . Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
4 avocados, ripe, peeled and diced (not mashed)
½ C red onion, finely diced
¼ C green onion, thinly sliced
1 lime, juiced and zested
1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp sea salt
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and fold gently to combine.
- Serve with tortilla chips, or use as a spread on a sandwich or taco.
Lobster Wontons and Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings
300g Cooked lobster meat
½ bunch Green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp Fresh tarragon, chopped
1 Tbsp Fennel, finely minced
2 Tbsp Mascarpone cheese
2 Tbsp Butter, cooked until browned
25 Wonton wrappers
- Combine lobster, onion, tarragon, fennel and mascarpone and mix in brown butter.
- Brush edges of wonton wrappers with a touch of water.
- Spoon a generous tablespoon of lobster mix into the centre of the wonton and fold up each corner to make a bundle. Press firmly to seal.
- Pan fry in 1’’ of oil until golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- These can be made ahead and frozen. Just be sure to cook them right from frozen, don’t thaw.
Jamaican Jerk chicken wings
1 package split chicken wings
5 table spoons Hills Jamaican Jerk Seasoning –Hot
1 tbs lime juice and zest
1 tbs lemon juice and zest
1 tbs Scotch Bonnet Sauce [Optional for extra heat]
- Mix Hills Jamaican Jerk paste with lime and lemon juice and zest. Coat wings with paste and allow to marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- On a medium hot grill pan or pre heated 450F oven cook the wings for 30-35 minutes or until internal temperature of 165F. Can be done on the BBQ weather permitting.