The search for human remains has ended, but the effort to solve several high profile murders has not.

After nearly four days, the Mounties say they did not find any remains on a property in Shad Bay, Nova Scotia, but say they found a few other things.

“We found some items that will be analyzed further,” explains Sgt. Al LeBlanc of the Nova Scotia RCMP. “Depending on what we find, or what the results are you know, we may be able to further the investigation. We don’t know at this time.”

What they don’t know at this point is whether those items are relevant to the investigation that led them to the property.

The owner is a brother to Andrew Paul Johnson.

Johnson is in prison in British Columbia, and has long been considered a suspect in the disappearance of Kimberly McAndrew.                 

The 19-year-old went missing in the summer of 1989, after clocking out of work at a Canadian Tire store in Halifax.

Police will not say what led them to the home in Shad Bay, only that is was information in a major unsolved crime.

“Again, that’s all part of the investigation,” says Sgt. LeBlanc, “We’re not providing specific details about that.”

However, we do know McAndrew’s family was contacted by police over the weekend, but no link was made.

Kimberley McAndrew’s sister tells CTV her family appreciates all the support they’ve received. She says it has been a bumpy few days and the family supports any work that continues to be done on her sister’s case.

According to documents from the parole board, Andrew Paul Johnson continues “to be a suspect in several homicides in Eastern Canada.”

Ann King from Surrey, B.C. says he has been a suspect in her daughter’s murder as well. “The older I get, the more concerned I am that I may never know the outcome what had happened to Andrea.”

Andrea King flew to Halifax in January of 1992 and called her family to say she arrived safely.

That was the last time her family heard from the 18-year-old. 

Her remains were found almost a year later in a wooded area in the Sackville Business Park.

Her mother says a few personal items have never been found.

“I would really be interested to speak to the police to find out what if they found anything that was related to Andrea, because that would give us more hope, that’s all we have left now.”

With files from CTV Atlantic's Jacqueline Foster