N.B. to spend up to $8M to relocate Perth-Andover homes
Published Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:01PM ADT
Last Updated Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:09PM ADT
The New Brunswick government announced Tuesday that it will spend up to $8 million to move or flood-proof homes ravaged by flooding in Perth-Andover earlier this year.
The government will also consider buyout packages for those who simply want to abandon their riverside properties.
“The program will pay for the relocation to the nearest lot available and capped buyouts will remain the same as it has been for the Disaster Financial Assistance Program, up to $80,000 and up to $100,000 for relocations,” announced Local Government Minister Bruce Fitch.
While today’s announcement is welcome news for many Perth-Andover residents,some say it comes too late because there isn’t enough to get it implemented.
“The season is just about shot,” says Mayor Terry Ritchie. “They’re only going to be able to move 12 to 20 houses at the most, if the weather cooperates.”
The March flood forced 500 of Perth-Andover's 1,780 residents out of their homes and resulted in about $25 million in damage.
Now residents much choose whether they want to stay and flood-proof their homes, or make the move to higher ground.
“Sad, but a little relief,” says resident Karen DeMerchant. “That way we’ll know that it’s not going to happen again. We’re not going to have to re-build again.”
However, others aren’t sure whether the economics will fit their particular situation.
“The damages to our house and the mechanics of moving a house this size would cost a lot more than their estimates of $100,000,” says resident Cheryl Sadler.
With the government’s commitment now in place,and the construction season quickly winding-down, village officials say relocation and flood-proofing efforts will begin as soon as possible.
With files from CTV Atlantic's Andy Campbell