Skip to main content

2 N.B. schools locked down after 'emergency operation'

Share

Two New Brunswick schools locked down due to an “emergency operation” Wednesday afternoon.

According to a letter sent to parents from the Anglophone East School District, Bessborough and Hillcrest schools enacted their lockdown procedures “out of an abundance of care and caution” around noon.

Bernice MacNaughton High School also enacted its hold and secure procedures.

“Students and staff are safe and there have been no injuries,” the letter says.

Lee Steeves has a daughter and a niece at Bessborough School.

“We got an email saying that the school was locked down and that maybe something had been thrown on to the field, playing field, so they were taking a precaution,” said Steeves.

"Anytime you hear something like that you’re concerned... I just ran up to see if there was anything I could do or see what was going on.”

In a social media post at 12:59 p.m., New Brunswick RCMP said the operation in the Bessborough area was concluded and "police have determined that there was nothing criminal in nature that took place."

For more New Brunswick news visit our dedicated provincial page.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Françoise Hardy, French singing legend and pop icon, dies at 80

Françoise Hardy, a French singing legend and pop icon since the 1960s, has died. She was 80. Her son, musician Thomas Dutronc, announced her death on social media, sharing a poignant photo of himself as a child with his mother. Hardy, who had been battling lymphatic cancer since 2004, faced her illness with remarkable candour. She passed away on Tuesday.

Stay Connected