'Trailer Park Boys' actress alleges Jian Ghomeshi choked, slapped her
Published Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:13PM ADT Last Updated Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:14PM ADT
TORONTO -- "Trailer Park Boys" actor Lucy DeCoutere says she is going public with allegations of abusive behaviour by Jian Ghomeshi because she wants to help other women who are levelling more serious accusations against the ousted CBC host.
DeCoutere told her story on CBC's "The Current" this morning, hours after her allegations against Ghomeshi were detailed in a Toronto Star report.
She alleges that Ghomeshi choked her and slapped her across the face during a date they went on in 2003.
In the days since CBC parted ways with Ghomeshi last weekend, several women have anonymously alleged that they were victims of abusive behaviour by the former host of the "Q" radio program.
DeCoutere -- who is also a captain in the Royal Canadian Air Force in New Brunswick -- is the first to do so publicly.
The Star said Ghomeshi, his lawyers and public relations staff have not responded to allegations in their latest report, which includes accusations from DeCoutere and other accusers who are not named. A spokeswoman for Ghomeshi did not respond to a request from The Canadian Press for comment.
Ghomeshi has said previously that he has engaged in rough sex, but that it was always consensual.
Asked by host Anna Maria Tremonti why she was willing to go on the record, DeCoutere said her story is not as disturbing to discuss as some that have been detailed in anonymous accounts.
"My story, (for) me to talk about it is a little upsetting but it's not traumatic. I wasn't terribly hurt by him," she said. "It's the women who are talking about this (and) won't come forward with their names. They're obviously feeling like they will be targeted in some way and that their lives will be impacted negatively. I'm OK with that."
Some of the other alleged victims told the Toronto Star that they feared repercussions online if they allowed the newspaper to publish their names.
While chuckling that she might be "naive," DeCoutere said she's not concerned about such a backlash.
"I'm sure there's a chance that there will be attacks online, but I don't care," she told "The Current." "I mean, people who know me know that I'm not a bad person and people who don't know me are not part of my life."
She added: "I will take it if that means somebody doesn't have to because they're dealing with something a bit bigger."
DeCoutere said she didn't go to police at the time, explaining she was left confused and puzzled.
Ghomeshi is suing the CBC for $55 million for defamation and breach of trust. The corporation has said it will "vigorously" defend itself against Ghomeshi's lawsuit.
On Sunday night, after the CBC announced it was severing ties with him, Ghomeshi issued a lengthy Facebook post alleging that he'd been fired for his sexual behaviour.
He said he engaged in adventurous forms of sex that included role-play, dominance and submission, along with "rough sex (forms of BDSM)" but that the activities were consensual and he and his partner used safe words to signal when to stop the activity.
DeCoutere's accusations come after the Star carried allegations Monday from three women who said he was physically violent to them without their consent during sexual encounters or in the run-up to such encounters. Ghomeshi -- through his lawyer -- responded that he "does not engage in non-consensual role play or sex and any suggestion of the contrary is defamatory."
The Star also reported in that story earlier this wee that a fourth woman who worked at the CBC alleged that Ghomeshi "approached her from behind and cupped her rear end in the Q studio" and made a sexually obscene comment to her during a story meeting. The Star reported that Ghomeshi told the newspaper that he did not understand why it was continuing to pursue allegations when "my lawyers have already told you it is untrue."