Maritimes prepare for surge of refugees
Published Saturday, November 21, 2015 1:35PM AST
Last Updated Saturday, November 21, 2015 2:56PM AST
The Maritimes are preparing to accept a surge of Syrian refugees that the Liberal government says will resettle in Canada by the end of the year.
A government document obtained by CTV's Parliament Hill bureau dated from earlier this week suggests the first of the 25,000 refugees could begin arriving as early as Dec. 1, with up to 900 arriving daily.
Locations across Base Gagetown are being looked at as potential locations to shelter refugees.
Kathy LaFort, manager of a Gagetown hardware store, says she has been fielding unusual orders for this time of year.
“We've had request for quotes on washers and dryers, fridges, top mount fridges,” said LaFort.
Minister of Immigration and Refugees John McCallum says all the information will be released next week.
“We do appeal to Canadians to come forward to help in this great national project in the face of the worst refugee crisis in decades,” said McCallum.
New Brunswick has joined Nova Scotia in creating a toll-free helpline for people who want to help the refugees coming in.
There are several petitions online asking for Canada's refugee plan to be stopped.
The New Brunswick Multicultural Association created its own petition this week.
“It’s been described as kind of a virtual welcome mat,” said Alex LeBlanc of the New Brunswick Multicultural Council.
LeBlanc is worried refugees could arrive in Canada to a flood of negative comments.
“This is a way for New Brunswickers laying out very clearly that we’re here to welcome you,” said LeBlanc.
Details of the plan are expected to be announced Tuesday.
With files from CTV Atlantic’s Nick Moore.