N.S. parents and teachers call on government to release info on COVID-19 exposures at schools
As parent Brittany Snow peruses a list of Nova Scotia schools affected by COVID-19 exposures, she worries what it means for the safety of her children, who are too young to be vaccinated.
“I’m definitely concerned,” says Snow. “I think it’s really important for parents and the community to protect those who are most vulnerable.”
That list of affected schools – which includes 19 so far – is being compiled not by the provincial government, but by a concerned group of parents. While Snow is happy someone is making the information available, she feels government should be doing the job.
“I think it adds to the lack of trust towards the government, and I think it's important to be transparent so people can respond accordingly.”
A volunteer group, ‘Nova Scotia Parents for Public Education’, began compiling the information being sent to them by parents and teachers when it saw government wasn’t making such details public.
Group moderator Stacey Rudderham, who is also a parent of school-aged children, says only verified information, such as a letter or email from an official school source or Nova Scotia Public Health, is used.
“We are the only place where they are able to get information about existing school cases,” says Rudderham.
Rudderham says she’s hearing from many parents and staff members about schools affected by potential COVID-19 exposures and cases.
She is also hearing from people who didn’t know there was a case at their school at all.
“We're hearing from them that they've not been informed and that they found about the case from our list, on social media,” says Rudderham.
Nova Scotia’s Department of Education wouldn't give CTV News a list of affected schools in the province today.
According to the department, principals are supposed to notify the wider school community of any potential exposures.
The province’s chief medical officer of health says there's been no evidence the virus being transmitted at schools and says schools continue to be safe.
Dr. Robert Strang says anyone at a school who may have been exposed to a case is being notified, and that parents should trust Public Health.
“If their child might have been exposed, they will be notified,” said Strang. “And keep following the basic precautions.”
Strang does say public health may start reporting some school-related data soon.
“We are looking at starting to report in total as part of our weekly epidemiological summaries specific to schools.”
In a message sent to teachers late Friday and obtained by CTV, the regional executive director of the Halifax Regional Centre for Education, Elwin LeRoux, sought to address concerns “from a staff member yesterday asking about a COVID-19 case connected to their school,” and “why it took so long for staff to be notified when the information was shared on social media.”
In the message, LeRoux states Public Health’s approach to COVID cases connected to schools is “different from last year.”
“In the social media age, information is shared at the speed of light,” he writes, “This process isn’t that fast but we do communicate as soon as Public Health gives direction at the end of their investigation.”
The issue is one the head of the Nova Scotia Teachers’ Union says he’s raising with the province.
Paul Wozney says he’s also heard of cases instances where teachers weren't notified of a case related to their school.
Nova Scotia was listing potential school exposures as recently as the last school year.
Wozney says the province needs to start doing that again.
“It’s only Alberta, Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia nationally that aren't providing this data to parents and students and staff.”
Rudderham says it’s information that is important to the whole community.
“If (students are) in the schools and there are cases there, they're also in sports, they're in clubs, they’re in church, daycares are also speaking to us,” says Rudderham. “It isn't just in the schools, if it's in the schools.”
“It's very telling that this is coming from the parents and not the government,” says Snow. She would like the province to release accurate information to keep rumors and misinformation at bay – and help parents like her make the decision needed to keep their children safe.
Atlantic Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
The federal government has announced a suite of changes to the popular income and business support programs put in place during the pandemic and set to expire on Saturday. Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland reminded Canadians on Thursday that the measures were always intended to be 'temporary.'
Instead of issuing a singular federal national COVID-19 vaccine passport, the federal government says that each province and territory will be responsible for issuing a 'standardized pan-Canadian' vaccine passport that Canadians can use when travelling. Each province's system is supposed to have a 'common' look and feel, with the expectation that by next month all Canadians will have access.
The Saskatchewan government released a statement Thursday morning saying social media posts about ICU patient transfers should be “disregarded” following immense confusion among doctors and officials over planned ICU patient transfers to Ontario.
The U.S. House voted Thursday to hold Steve Bannon, a longtime ally and aide to former U.S. president Donald Trump, in contempt of Congress for defying a subpoena from the committee investigating the violent Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection.
As he prepares to launch a new media company that will give him his own social media platform, former U.S. President Donald Trump has ramped up his efforts to rewrite history, spreading more lies about the 2020 election in November and the deadly storming of the Capitol in January.
A police superintendent in Jamaica told The Associated Press on Thursday that authorities have arrested a Colombian man they believe is a suspect in the July 7 assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moise.
As tourism resumes across much of the world, experts say purchasing travel insurance is necessary if Canadians want to stay safe and enjoy a trip abroad.
The federal government announced Thursday that Canada will receive 2.9 million doses of Pfizer’s pediatric COVID-19 vaccine shortly after its approval by Health Canada for the five to 11 age group.
EXCLUSIVE | Canadian racing driver and Instagram influencer accused of 'massive fraudulent' scheme that defrauded investors of millions
U.S. officials allege Canadian race car driver and Instagram influencer Josh Cartu and his brothers ran a 'massive fraudulent' trading operation between 2013 and 2017 that appears to have helped fund Cartu’s lavish lifestyle through multi-million-dollar transfers to off-shore bank accounts in the Caribbean.
Prayers and pain at funeral for 17-year-old girl killed crossing intersection near Scarborough school
Her death is being described as an excruciating loss. The emotion during the service, held at the Islamic Research Centre of Canada, was overwhelming and raw.
The Toronto Zoo is planning to vaccinate at least 140 of its animals against COVID-19 soon.
Nearly 90 stolen cars were recovered and nine people from Ontario and Quebec have been charged in connection with a massive vehicle theft investigation in the Greater Toronto Area.
WATCH LIVE AT 330
WATCH LIVE AT 330 | Calgary Coun. Sean Chu says he will not resign
Embattled Calgary Coun. Sean Chu said during a press conference on Thursday that he will not resign.
Watch live on CTVNewsEdmonton.ca at 3:30 p.m.
When Stephanie and Paul Aitken found out in October 2019 they were going to be parents, they shared the news right away with family and friends.
Watch live on CTVNewsEdmonton.ca at 3:30 p.m.
The Edmonton Oilers' number two goalie Mikko Koskinen will start Thursday's game in Arizona with goalie Mike Smith on the injured reserve.
Alberta's public inquiry into the role of foreign funding of campaigns opposing oilsands development has found environmental groups have done nothing wrong.
Quebec Premier Francois Legault says that, as the leader of the province, he's horrified by the news of 24-year-old Romane Bonnier's death in downtown Montreal on Tuesday.
A 43-year-old Montreal man was sentenced to two years probation Thursday after he was found guilty last June of criminal harassment against Instagram sensation Charlotte Bouchard, the sister of tennis star Eugenie Bouchard.
For the first time, Quebec is committing to creating a daycare spot for every child in the province. In the midst of ongoing strikes and a growing wait list, it said Thursday it is investing at least $3 billion in a major overhaul.
Ottawa Hospital set to place more than 300 employees on unpaid leave for violating vaccination policy
More than 300 Ottawa Hospital employees who aren’t fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will be placed on an unpaid leave of absence as of Nov. 1.
Sixteen of the 35 new cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on Thursday involve residents under the age of 10.
A serious two-vehicle collision closed Highbury Avenue near Manning Drive on Thursday afternoon.
After a nearly two days of delays, Const. Stephen Williams tendered his resignation to the London Police Service effective Nov. 22.
Sarnia, Ont.’s mayor is calling on the federal government to remove costly COVID-19 testing as a requirement for Canadians returning to Canada from the United States.
Highway 11 is closed because of a diesel spill, the Ontario Provincial Police said Thursday.
Sudbury police say no foul play is suspected after a man was found dead inside a tent in a park downtown.
Recently, a northern Ontario man and his friends were hanging out in his shed on a Saturday night when a large moose came to join the party.
A doctor from Ste. Anne Manitoba is now facing 22 counts of sexual assault after police laid additional charges.
A judge who ruled against seven Manitoba churches that were fighting public health orders says the restrictions were reasonable and necessary to stem the spread of COVID-19.
COVID-19 vaccine policy coming to Manitoba Liquor and lotteries
Indoor gathering limits for private and public events must be implemented immediately as a public health order, according to the Saskatchewan Medical Association.
An intensive care doctor from Saskatoon reported the Government of Saskatchewan has called off all further patient transfers to Ontario ICUs, which the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre denies.
The Saskatchewan government has confirmed that three additional ICU patients will be transferred to Ontario over the next three days, bringing the number of patients sent out of province to nine.
Two more Saskatchewan residents have died of COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths related to the virus to 800.
A whale-watching guide on Vancouver Island has been fined thousands of dollars for getting too close to a pod of orcas.
Thousands of BC Hydro customers on Vancouver Island and the B.C. Gulf Islands are without power Thursday as a windstorm wreaks havoc across the region.
B.C. health officials are expected to provide an update on new cases, vaccinations and other relevant information on Thursday afternoon.