New COVID-19 case under investigation in Campbellton region; 24 active cases in N.B.
Employees work at the Canadian Hospital Specialities (CHS) helping take dual COVID-19 testing swab kits and separating them into two units to help with swab capacity during the COVID-19 pandemic in Oakville, Ont., on Monday, June 8, 2020. (Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press)
HALIFAX -- New Brunswick reported one new case of COVID-19 on Friday.
The new case involves an individual 19 and under in Zone 5 (Campbellton region). Public health says the case is under investigation.
Five previously reported cases are now considered recovered, leaving 24 active cases in the province.
Two new cases were reported Thursday in the Fredericton region. Both cases involved individuals age 30 to 39, and were under investigation by public health.
New Brunswick has 350 confirmed cases of COVID-19, of which 320 have recovered. There have been six deaths, leaving 24 active cases in the province.
Two patients were released from hospital since public health's update on Thursday. Three patients remain hospitalized, with none in the intensive care unit.
As of Thursday, 105,773 COVID-19 tests had been conducted in the province.
The number of cases are broken down by New Brunswick’s seven health zones:
- Zone 1 – Moncton region: 94 confirmed cases (1 active case)
- Zone 2 – Saint John region: 33 confirmed cases (1 active case)
- Zone 3 – Fredericton region: 70 confirmed cases (9 active cases)
- Zone 4 – Edmundston region: 8 confirmed cases
- Zone 5 – Campbellton region: 136 confirmed cases (11 active cases)
- Zone 6 – Bathurst region: 4 confirmed cases (1 active case)
- Zone 7 – Miramichi region: 4 confirmed cases (1 active case)
GUIDELINES FOR REMEMBRANCE DAY CEREMONIES
New Brunswick public health has issued guidelines for safely commemorating Remembrance Day during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Public health says that ceremonies of up to 50 people with physical distancing are allowed.
If the gathering is larger than 50, the organizer/business/organization is required to maintain a record of the names and contact information of all persons who attend.
Physical distancing must be enforced at all ceremonies and masks must be warn indoors.
The full list of guidelines is available on the N.B. public health website.
ZONE 5 TO RETURN TO YELLOW
New Brunswick's Campbellton region (Zone 5) returned to the yellow level of the province's COVID-19 recovery plan at midnight Friday.
Public Health says they made the recommendation based upon a consistent downward trend in the number of cases and a significant decline in the risk of further infections.
“Based on the measures taken by the community, we are accepting the recommendation of Public Health that the Campbellton region return to the Yellow level as of midnight,” said Premier Blaine Higgs in a release.
“The community showed what is possible by working together and I thank them for their dedicated efforts in making this happen. I also recognize the outstanding efforts by our health-care workers who continue to work in so many different capacities to help manage the virus. In addition, I thank our provincial government employees who are working on border control duties both on the frontlines and behind the scenes. Their efforts are not only helping to keep our province safe but also our neighbours in the Atlantic bubble," added Higgs.
The Campbellton region had transitioned back to the orange level on Oct. 9, after an outbreak in the area. Between Oct. 8 and Oct. 9, 83 new cases were reported in the region.
As of Friday, there are 11 active cases in the Campbellton region.
In the Yellow level, Public Health measures and guidelines must still be followed. This includes wearing a mask in all indoor public places. Recovery level rules are available online.
“Returning Zone 5 to the Yellow level is the result of an immense amount of collaboration involving public health workers, staff at the regional health authority, local civic leaders and, most importantly, the residents of the region,” said Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health. “The risks of COVID-19 continue to increase all around the Atlantic bubble. In fact, lockdowns are imminent in England, parts of Europe and in the United States and Canada. That is why we must mitigate the risk by doing our very best to keep the virus out by implementing evidence-based measures such as limiting our number of close contacts, physical distancing, wearing your mask, staying home if you are sick and getting tested even if you have mild symptoms.”
"I'm very proud of our community people really did follow the rules they buckle down really quick and got this under control," said Belledune mayor Joe Noel.
POTENTIAL EXPOSURE ADVISORY ON AIR CANADA FLIGHTS
New Brunswick public health is also advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 on a pair of Oct. 24 Air Canada flights.
Public health says they identified a positive case in a traveller who may have been infectious on Oct. 24 while on the following flights:
- Air Canada Flight 322 – from Calgary to Montreal; and
- Air Canada Flight 8792 – from Montreal to Saint John arrived at 9:12 p.m.
Individuals who travelled on these flights should self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days after the flight.
Should any COVID-19 symptoms develop, they are directed to self-isolate and take the self-assessment online or to call 811 to get tested.
PROVINCE EARMARKS MONEY TO FIGHT COVID
The provincial government also announced an infusion of more than $15 million dollars to combat the virus.
Of that money, $10.5 million will go to nursing homes and adult residential facilities and $3.7 million will help child welfare protection programs which includes group homes and foster homes.
Emergency shelters will receive $1.2 million to help cover some of the costs related to the pandemic.
"We monitor on a regular basis the need within the communities whether it's shelters or housing issues such as income or medicare," said New Brunswick social development minister Bruce Fitch.
Seniors advocate Cecille Cassista says she hopes this money is used in the right way.
"This is a step in the right direction," she said. "Staffing, also protective equipment, we want to make sure this is designated directly to those nursing homes and special care homes.
The province is also designating $2.7 million dollars to help sport and recreation organizations that have been affected by COVID-19.
VEHICLE TRAFFIC INFORMATION
New Brunswick's online dashboard includes information about vehicle traffic attempting to enter the province.
On Thursday, 1,931 personal and 1,641 commercial vehicles attempted to cross the border into the province.
Of the vehicles attempting to cross the border, 39 were refused entry, for a refusal rate of 1.1 per cent.