Reduced forest fire risk prompts N.B. to lift forestry restrictions
Earlier this month, the New Brunswick government said the forest fire hazard in the province was the highest in 20 years.
FREDERICTON -- The New Brunswick government has lifted restrictions on forestry operations as the risk of forest fires fades.
On Aug. 3, the government put a halt to harvesting, forwarding, site preparation or pre-commercial thinning between noon and 8 p.m. for all operations with two or more people, or operations using mechanical equipment.
At the time, Energy and Resource Development Minister Rick Doucet said the forest fire hazard in the province was the highest in 20 years.
Doucet says while he has lifted his ministerial order, the government will impose conditions again if conditions warrant.
A total of 160 forest fires have burned almost 108 hectares of forest so far this year.
About half of the province is currently closed to all burning.