A massive fire has destroyed at least two buildings in a small Nova Scotia village, leaving some people homeless.

Weymouth Fire Chief Roy Mullen says the fire was reported on Main Street at 4:20 a.m. Wednesday. Ten fire departments responded to the scene.

“I saw a big ball of orange in the distance, ran downstairs and started taking video,” said Weymouth resident Joey Giguere.

Resident Candy Mullen says she heard the sirens and was shocked when she went outside to see what was happening.

“I got up and I looked out and I saw some smoke and some really bright orange sky so I went out in my pyjamas down the driveway and wow! It was huge, the fire was, like, out of control … I couldn’t believe my eyes,” she says.

Candy Mullen says the fire destroyed the old Bell building, which is now home to an antique shop, as well as the old library, which now houses the New France information centre.

She says the New France information centre was home to a number of historical artifacts.

“That was all lost,” says Mullen.

Weymouth Fire Chief Roy Mullen says the fire has also destroyed three apartments, leaving six people homeless.

“When we got here, it was fully engulfed, both buildings, we immediately called nine other departments,” Mullen said.

He says everyone made it out safely and no one was injured.

Michael Doucet lives next door and had roused the six tenants.

“I started getting everybody out, so I went next door, had to bust the door open to get the people out and when they came out they were so surprised they couldn't believe what they were seeing,” Doucet said.

People who live and work in neighbouring businesses are also dealing with damaged buildings.

The flames started melting the shingles on Pat Comeau’s hotel directly across from the fire.

“I didn't really get out of my housecoat until eight o'clock, so it's quite an experience,” Comeau said. “I'm so thankful that no one was hurt.”

The fire also prompted a power outage, which is affecting some residents and businesses in the community. The Goodwin Hotel is closed due to the outage and also sustained some damage. The local NSLC was closed Wednesday morning but reopened in the afternoon.

Fire officials are working to determine a cause.

Most of the firefighters were on the scene since receiving the call. They were dealing with hot spots and what's left of the buildings for several hours.

Community members did what they could to support fire crews, including seven-year-old Elodie Trefry, who passed around doughnuts and fruit cups.

“They were up at four o'clock in the morning working hard to save a building,” Trefry said.

Weymouth Fire Department First Lt. Mike Cormier said “it’s a big loss.”

“You can't rebuild this, it's very old,” he said.

Mullen, who used to work in the building when it was a hardware store, says they don't know what started the fire and he isn't confident they'll ever find out.

With files from CTV Atlantic’s Suzette Belliveau.

Many Weymouth residents took pictures or video of the scene and posted them on social media.