Selena Gomez cancels concerts in Moncton, Newfoundland
Published Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:13AM ADT
Last Updated Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:38PM ADT
Pop star Selena Gomez won’t be coming to Atlantic Canada after all.
The singer has announced she is cancelling the balance of her world tour, including a stop in New Brunswick and one in Newfoundland.
Organizers of Atlantic Fest 2016 confirmed on social media that the music festivals, which were set to take place in Newfoundland’s Paradise Park on Saturday, and at Moncton Stadium on Sunday, have been cancelled as a result.
AtlanticFest 2016 was to be the first concert held at Moncton Stadium.
Flo Rida and DNCE, as well as Canadian artists Shawn Hook and Francesco Yates, were also set to take the stage, with Gomez acting as the headliner.
Gomez has been diagnosed with lupus and says she has been dealing with anxiety, panic attacks and depression.
“With the unfortunate announcement of Selena Gomez canceling the balance of her world tour, David Carver Music firstly extends our thoughts and well wishes to Ms. Gomez,” said organizers in a statement on social media. “David Carver Music and Atlantic Canadian music fans stand with her on the decision to put her health first.”
Gomez announced last year she had been diagnosed with lupus, and has undergone chemotherapy for the condition in the past.
“I was kind of disappointed because it would be cool if she came to Moncton, but I'm more worried about if she's sick or not,” said fan Emma Vogels.
“I was very surprised,” said fan Miriam Hicks. “I had no idea she had a mental health issue and I was surprised because a lot of people I know were planning on going.”
Many fans took to Twitter to discuss the cancellation.
I'm a little upset that I'm not seeing Selena anymore but her health is way more important. Stay strong Selena! #GetWellSoonSelena— Jewel (@JewelMacNeil) August 30, 2016
The cancellation also threw the status of a local Battle of the Bands into uncertainty. But in this case, the show will go on.
“My immediate reaction was that it was a hoax, another internet hoax, but 15 minutes after that we knew for sure the show had been cancelled,” said Battle of the Bands host Dan Mazerolle.
The winning group in the contest was slated to open for Gomez's show at AtlanticFest. For some of the bands, it was a dream slipped away.
“We are kind of bummed out about the whole thing,” said competing artist Zack Lane. “Obviously with someone like Selena Gomez and her health, it doesn't matter how big the shows are or how big it really gets, health comes first.”
After some deliberation, Mazerolle and some AltanticFest sponsors decided to continue with the show and put forward a total of $2,000 in prize money for the winner of Battle of the Bands.
Organizers will make an announcement about tickets refunds for both concerts on Tuesday. The details will be available online at atlanticfest.ca.
With files from CTV Atlantic’s Cami Kepke.
ANNOUNCEMENT pic.twitter.com/W0dK1Kr49z— Atlantic Fest 2016 (@AtlanticFestCa) August 30, 2016