Community shocked by sex-related charges against Cape Breton’s Klutzy the Clown
Published Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:10PM ADT
The man known to a generation of young Cape Bretoners as Klutzy the Clown has been released on bail after being charged with sex-related crimes.
Dale Rancourt, 51, was charged on Monday and held overnight, but is now free on $20,000 bond.
Many members of the community are shocked by the allegations.
"He seemed like a great person and a stand-up citizen," said resident Duncan Campbell.
“I know he's been at parties and stuff,” said resident Jordan Timmons. “It is shocking."
Rancourt’s business in Sydney is now closed, with a sign telling customers to leave a message and they'll be contacted at a later date.
“He's not allowed to wear any costume or mask or putting any substance on his face or any materials that would alter his natural look,” said Crown attorney Sheldon Natheson. “It's going to prevent him from operating any type of entertainment facility.”
Rancourt faces two counts of sexual interference and one each of exploitation and sexual assault, all related to a girl under the age of 16.
Police allege the offences happened within the last month.
Rancourt was released on a number of conditions late Tuesday afternoon, including no contact with the complainant.
“Mr. Rancourt has put up his house and property at the amount of $20,000, which is meaningful and significant bond and that should ensure his responsibilities are abided by in the community,” said Natheson. “We have protected the public by ensuring he's not allowed in any place where children under the age of 18 would normally attend.”
Defence lawyer Mike Kuna would only say his client is concerned.
“He's quite relieved now. It's a first-time experience for him. He comes to the court with no prior criminal record, so he's relieved at least this part is over,” said Kuna.
Rancourt’s next court appearance is scheduled for November.
With files from CTV Atlantic’s Kyle Moore.