Mother of confined teen breaks silence
Published Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:33AM AST
Last Updated Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:32PM AST
The mother of a Nova Scotia teen is speaking out for the first time since her son was allegedly held captive and sexually assaulted at a home in Upper Chelsea.
“I find it really upsetting and very sickening. It breaks my heart,” says the woman, who cannot be identified.
“I wish I could go back in time and erase these horrible memories for him.”
She says her 16-year-old son was offered a job painting but was instead drugged and woke up to find himself chained to the floor and ceiling of the home in Upper Chelsea
He claims he was held against his will by two men, and sexually assaulted for a period of up to two weeks.
David James LeBlanc is facing charges in connection with the alleged incident, and police arrested another man Monday at a hotel in Fredericton.
“Our investigators wasted no time to search for him and apprehend him once his name came up, and we had enough evidence to lay a charge,” says RCMP Sgt. Allain LeBlanc.
John Leonard MacKean of Lower Sackville is charged with sexual assault and communicating for the purpose of sexual services in connection with the case.
According to the Crown, the communication took place with Wayne Alan Cunningham who was also charged in the case.
Cunningham was found dead in northern Ontario, close to where LeBlanc was arrested. Foul play is not suspected in his death.
MacKean was an employee at The Chronicle Herald until last year.
He appeared in Bridgewater provincial court Tuesday, but was not brought into the courthouse according to protocol.
While reporters were waiting at the back of the courthouse, MacKean walked through the front door accompanied by one police officer. He was not wearing handcuffs and walked through public areas.
“We had deputy sheriffs on standby to receive that prisoner when he was brought in through cells, and we were waiting for that phone call, which we did not receive,” says Sheriff Stephen Brown.
The RCMP is now investigating how it was handled.
As for the alleged victim, he has no interest in attending the court proceedings. His mother appeared in court for the first time Tuesday, to face the newly accused.
“These newest charges have brought it back into the forefront for him and it’s just something that he wants to forget,” she says.
“I hope the justice system does the right thing and convicts these people the harshest way possible.”
The case was put over because MacKean is seeking private counsel.
He is due back in court for a bail hearing Thursday.
With files from CTV Atlantic's Kayla Hounsell
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.