Skip to main content

Two Fredericton men charged after shooting incident that prompted Alert Ready message: RCMP

The New Brunswick RCMP and the Fredericton Police Force responded to a report of two shootings in the Hanwell Trailer Park around 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 2, 2022. (Alyson Samson/CTV Atlantic) The New Brunswick RCMP and the Fredericton Police Force responded to a report of two shootings in the Hanwell Trailer Park around 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 2, 2022. (Alyson Samson/CTV Atlantic)
Share

Two Fredericton men have been charged in connection with a shooting incident that prompted an Alert Ready message to be issued for the area.

Oromocto RCMP officers and members of the Fredericton Police Force responded to a report of gunshots fired on Leafwood Drive in the Hanwell Trailer Park around 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 2.

The incident resulted in two individuals being taken to hospital with what were believed to be non-life threatening injuries.

The RCMP said last week that other people believed to be involved in the shooting fled the scene in a vehicle.

An Alert Ready message was issued to the public in the Fredericton and Oromocto areas at 10:46 a.m, warning the public that individuals “known to be armed and dangerous” had been last seen in the Oromocto area driving a 2012 Honda Civic.

Residents were urged to stay inside their homes or evacuate the area while police contained a property on Elmdale Crescent where a suspect was believed to be inside.

An Emergency Response Team was also deployed to the scene and a tactical team surrounded the home until officers determined there was no one inside.

The RCMP said police located the vehicle in the Longs Creek area, off Highway 2, around 12:15 p.m, and arrested 22-year-old Blake Holt.

Later that day, Holt appeared in Fredericton provincial court, where he was charged with:

  • possession of a firearm for a dangerous purpose
  • flight from police
  • unauthorized possession of a firearm
  • possession of a restricted firearm
  • possession of property obtained by crime
  • theft under $5,000
  • possession of a firearm
  • failure to comply with a release order

Holt returned to court Thursday and was taken into police custody. He is set to appear in court again on Jan. 30, 2023.

On Tuesday, a 41-year-old man was also arrested in Fredericton for his alleged involvement in the incident.

That same day, Jesse Joe appeared in Fredericton provincial court. He was charged with:

  • assault with a weapon
  • pointing a firearm
  • uttering Threats
  • robbery

Joe returned to court Thursday where he was also taken into custody. His next court appearance is scheduled for Dec. 15.

In a Friday release, RCMP says the investigation is ongoing.

With files from CTV Atlantic’s Natalie Lombard.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Mussolini's wartime bunker opens to the public in Rome

After its last closure in 2021, it has now reopened for guided tours of the air raid shelter and the bunker. The complex now includes a multimedia exhibition about Rome during World War II, air raid systems for civilians, and the series of 51 Allied bombings that pummeled the city between July 1943 and May 1944.

WATCH

WATCH Half of Canadians living paycheque-to-paycheque: Equifax

As Canadians deal with a crushing housing shortage, high rental prices and inflationary price pressures, now Equifax Canada is warning that Canadian consumers are increasingly under stress"from the surging cost of living.

Stay Connected