Fire sparks at N.S. funeral home during a cremation
Published Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:43PM ADT
Officials are still trying to determine the cause of a fire at a Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia funeral home Tuesday.
Fire crews responded around 3:15 p.m. Tuesday after alarms went off. They arrived to find smoke and flames billowing through the roof near a chimney.
Fire service spokesman Dave Meldrum confirms a cremation was underway at the time.
"There is a cremation in process and as one of our safety measures we did stop the flow of propane fuel to the building, so now we're consulting with the funeral home director and other personnel as to what their next best step should be," Meldrum told CTV Tuesday.
Firefighters had to break into the attic space to douse the flames and cut off the propane supply to the crematorium.
While the cause has not been determined, police tell CTV that the fire seemed to originate in the area of the crematorium.
No one was injured in the blaze.
CTV News generic 470
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.