Skip to main content

Staff members stabbed at N.S. high school released from hospital; student remains in custody

Share

Two staff members who were stabbed at a Halifax-area high school have been released from hospital, while the student accused in the stabbing remains in custody.

The two employees were sent to hospital with serious injuries after they were stabbed at Charles P. Allen High School in Bedford, N.S., Monday morning.

The student, who has been charged in the incident, was also taken to hospital with non-life-threatening stab wounds and later released.

The names of the employees have not officially been released, but the principal identified them -- Mr. Rodgers and Ms. Light -- in a tweet Wednesday evening.

Charles P. Allen High School principal Stephanie Bird said in an email to families Wednesday night that both staff members were discharged from hospital that afternoon.

“We are so proud of our student body and how they responded during the hold and secure, during the evacuation, and over the course of the last few days,” said Bird.

“We recognize there was some anxiety coming into the building today, but the smiles and hugs were amazing. Lots of love is being felt today.”

Students returned to class Wednesday afternoon. The school closed early Monday after the stabbing and reopened Tuesday afternoon, but classes were cancelled.

Counsellors, psychologists and other mental health professionals were at the school to help people work through what they experienced.

The Halifax Regional Centre for Education says about 20 counsellors and extra police will remain on site for at least the rest of the week.

STUDENT REMAINS IN CUSTODY

The 15-year-old student accused in the stabbings remains in custody.

The teen, whose identity is protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, appeared in youth court briefly by video Thursday morning. Defence lawyer Paul Sheppard advised the court the youth is not seeking bail at this time and he did not enter a plea to the charges. 

The teen has been charged with the following offences:

  • two counts of attempted murder
  • two counts of aggravated assault
  • two counts of possession of a weapon dangerous to public peace
  • two counts of carrying a concealed weapon
  • possession of a prohibited weapon
  • possession of a weapon knowing it is unauthorized
  • mischief

The youth’s next court appearance is scheduled by video April 13.

The Public Prosecution Service told CTV News earlier this week the teen will be tried as a minor, but the Crown will seek an adult sentence if they are convicted.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Looking to relax? Take a walk with a Llama

Despite their unique personalities, all of Josée Gautreau’s 15 llamas love treats. And for nearly four years, they’ve earned extra snacks by walking with tourists.

Stay Connected