ROTHESAY, N.B. -- Police say the deaths of a mother and her young daughter in Rothesay, N.B., have been ruled a murder-suicide.

Members of the Kennebecasis Regional Police Force responded to a report of a sudden death at an apartment building on Sierra Avenue shortly after 10 a.m. Monday.

When officers arrived, they found the bodies of a 43-year-old woman and a seven-year-old girl inside one of the units.

The scene was cleared by police on Thursday after they received the results of the autopsies.

Investigators have determined that the girl was the victim of a homicide, and that the woman then died from a self-inflicted injury.

"Due to the circumstances, police do not anticipate any charges being laid," said Kennebecasis Regional Police Force spokesperson Insp. Anika Becker.

The woman has been identified as Louise Cassie-Laflamme. The girl’s name has not been released, but police confirm she was the woman’s daughter.

Becker says, at this point, police are not able to establish the exact time of death.

"That is part of the information that takes some time to determine," Becker said. "We don't get those results immediately. There's some work that needs to be done there."

The school district says the girl attended Rothesay Elementary School from September until late November, when she started being homeschooled.

In a statement, Supt. Zoe Watson said "on Tuesday, when students are back at school, the district will have to additional guidance staff available to support students. Our role during these times is to provide the necessary supports to our schools, the students and their families, and staff."

Lawyer David Lutz says Cassie-Laflamme was also a lawyer who spent some time working for him in Hampton, where he got to know both her and her daughter.

"She was a very quiet, private person," Lutz said. "To be honest with you, I never asked her anything about her situation and she never divulged anything. All I know is that Solange was her child and Solange was her life."

Kennebecasis Regional Police Det. Sgt. Craig MacDougall said it's a tragic case.

"It is rare, and it is a challenge for all the members and the community when a child dies in a homicide, which is why we have support services in place for anybody who needs them and to help process what we're dealing with here," MacDougall said.

Despite the update from police, the investigation is still open and they continue to look for any information from the public, including anyone who might have spoken to either the mother or her daughter before their deaths.