Recipes | CTV News at 5
CTV is helping to take the stress out of mealtime by providing inspiration for delicious dishes!
Every Wednesday at five we'll share a recipe crafted by the Kilted Chef Alain Bosse, featuring local food processors from around the Maritimes. The recipes are easy to make with step-by-step instructions.
Check back each week for the latest dish and visit atlanticfood.ca for more information on participating members.
Sweet and Sour Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 lbs. chicken drumsticks
- ½ tsp. salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chili sauce (choose gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 Tbsp. dry mustard (powder)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup molasses (we used Crosby’s Fancy Molasses)
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Remove skin from chicken and place in a covered roasting pan or Dutch oven. (Make sure the pan is large enough to accommodate the chicken in a single layer.) Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dress with lemon slices and sprinkle over the onions.
- In a medium bowl whisk the chili sauce, mustard powder, brown sugar, molasses, orange juice and lemon juice.
- Pour half of the mixture over the chicken, cover and bake for 30 minutes, basting once with another spoonful of the sauce.
- Remove lid and continue to bake for another 30-45 minutes, or until meat is tender.
- Baste them a few times with remaining sauce and pan sauces. (Bake them longer if you want them a little sticky).
Crosby's Fancy Molasses is available at Sobeys and Costco locations.